Davis-Monthan AFB T-54
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Davis-Monthan AFB T-54 Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:10 pm
    ----
I was in Tucson yesterday and went over to the AFB to look for the T-54.
After driving all over the base I finally found it sitting outside the 355th Operations Group Bldg.
There wasn't anyone around to ask if taking pictures was OK as it was Sunday and the bldg was locked up. I took a couple of pictures and left.
BB-61

Last edited by BB-61 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Davis-Monthan AFB T-54 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:54 pm
    ----
Thanks BB-61 - although I generally like to get that sort of permission first...

But anyway... Do you have a building number and/or cross-street?

Thanks!

Neil

#3: Re: Davis-Monthan AFB T-54 Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:31 pm
    ----
Hi,

If that's the one I remember it's quite far down the flightline to the southeast. And, someone has given it a new coat of paint in the last 2-3 months. I didn't realize anyone was looking for this...I've driven past it at least 3 times since the first of the year!

Perhaps I'll take myself, my camera and my ID card out there one of these days and get some better pics...

Chuck

#4: Re: Davis-Monthan AFB T-54 Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:07 am
    ----
It's on Madera St btwn 6th & 7th streets.

BB-61

#5: Re: Davis-Monthan AFB T-54 Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:18 am
    ----
Interesting. I don't recall ever having seen that T54 before. I've been on D-M fairly regularly (like two to three times each week) since late December, after living here most of my life, and have never seen that tank.

There is also a T72 (which is the one that I was thinking of) at the corner of Phoenix St and Winslow. It doesn't seem to have had a coat of paint since 1991, when it was recovered. At one time all the hatches stood open, but I can't recall if they still were the last time I drove past it.

Nonetheless, I can get detail pics, etc., of both. It may take a month or two (I may be in Korea for most of August), but I'll run them down then.

C

#6: Re: Davis-Monthan AFB T-54 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:39 pm
    ----
D-M seems to have an inordinate amount of armor for an air force base...

Neil

#7: Re: Davis-Monthan AFB T-54 Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:05 pm
    ----
Maybe I'am totally wrong, but the antenna base and the antennas on this tank look a lot like our current antennas. These type of antennas/antenna base I've also seen on Israeli vehicles.

Long shot, but is it possible that this vehicle is former/tested by the IDF?

Regards,
Lesley

P.S. Always interested in the serial of this tank (and the T-72)!

#8: Re: Davis-Monthan AFB T-54 Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:17 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
Maybe I'am totally wrong, but the antenna base and the antennas on this tank look a lot like our current antennas. These type of antennas/antenna base I've also seen on Israeli vehicles.

Long shot, but is it possible that this vehicle is former/tested by the IDF?

Regards,
Lesley

P.S. Always interested in the serial of this tank (and the T-72)!

Perhaps a former OPFOR tank from somewhere nearby? The NTC isn't that far up the road...

C

#9: Re: Davis-Monthan AFB T-54 Author: BB-61Location: Yuma, AZ PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:42 am
    ----
Lesley,

I wasn't able to get a SN. There was a plaque on the front at one time and the adhesive used to hold it was covering the SN.

BB-61

#10: Re: Davis-Monthan AFB T-54 Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:39 am
    ----
It's a Tiran 4, an IDF modified T54. The U.S. got a lot of these from the IDF to use for OPFOR.

#11: Re: Davis-Monthan AFB T-54 Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:01 am
    ----
@BB-61; OK, thanks for looking!

@tanker2010; thanks! that explains the antennas. Are there more Israeli modifications visible on these pictures.

Regards,
Lesley

#12: Re: Davis-Monthan AFB T-54 Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:54 am
    ----
- C_Sherman

Nonetheless, I can get detail pics, etc., of both. It may take a month or two (I may be in Korea for most of August), but I'll run them down then.

C

C_Sherman did you ever get a chance to run these down?

-> AFV News Discussion Board