Bad news/good news dept.
-> Hardware

#1: Bad news/good news dept. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:19 am
    ----
My desktop, on which I run FS9 had been skweerly of late, with graphics issues when I'd change planes or airports/scenery. Finally, it gave up the ghost with what I suspected were vid card issues (this was a pretty hot gaming system at the time, just under three years ago).

Took to local guy, who contacted Gateway and it turned out that I still had 40 days on warranty.

Can we send a part? Oh, no. It was a proprietary vid card from Nvidia and there is no room on mother board for any equivalent replacement or better. Must be sent in (I suspect they have no more of those cards and will have to rework the entire system to get something on the mobo). So, I'm effectively without my primary system, but should get it back in two weeks. I hope it's recognizable and that the HD survives the transition.

So, my investment in repair will be about $150 (to local guy who did diagnosis and handling shipping and interface with Gateway), which is not bad. Thankfully, I have a year old laptop that is pretty hot and almost all my stuff is backed up on it and a WD external HD (let me not have Chuck's problems with that). Yes, I keep all my stuff in triplicate.

Just sharing my pain. Maybe I'll get a hotter vid card than what was in there, which was not bad at all.

Rolling Eyes

#2: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:14 am
    ----
Sympathies, Askiepops.
This is why so many are now turning to building their own;
The pre-builders neglect to mention that only they can upgrade much of the system in their advertising.

I hope you're not forking out that $150.00 you were talking about.
If the machine's still under warranth, it's still under warranty.
It's not your fault it doesn't work, nor that Gateway don't have the right card.
Any costs involved in getting it back to the standard you paid for should be borne by them, even if they have to replace the entire motherboard to do it.

If you get a hotter vid card, be careful.
Hog-Roasts are desireable for the rest of us.
The hogs tend not to be so keen.

#3: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:06 pm
    ----
$45 + $75 to local guy for diagnostics and shipping/receiving, case file with Gateway. I've developed a low tolerance for dealing with these kind of minutiae of detail in my old age.

Gateway is charging nothing.

Curious to see exactly what comes back. I'm betting it will be a major work-around with a different mobo that accomodate a vid card that can fit. It may be unrecognizable inside. If it last another two years, it will still have been a good investment.

Until then, no screenshots for POTD.

#4: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:04 pm
    ----
Sympathies, Askiepops

What! are you two dating with all the baby talk

seriously, sorry to hear that old boar, hope your back in tha air ASAP but I'll try to keep the babes hot and the beer cold fer ya

#5: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:04 am
    ----
In case off Ascout, you can always sell it to that tree rat, he's a sucker for "foreign" goods Laughing Twisted Evil

#6: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:24 am
    ----
LIES!
I love British stuff.
Even if it's mostly crap!

{ 8-]

#7: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:14 pm
    ----
"Ka-la-de-la, my computer's back!"

New, hotter vid card, and new CD/burner.

#8: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:35 pm
    ----

#9: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:22 pm
    ----
Congrats, now keep spilling that special brew on it Laughing Wink

#10: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:26 am
    ----

#11: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:59 am
    ----
They put an Nvidea GeForce 9800gtx sumthing-sumthin in here, and compared to the 8800 that died, this sucker sings.

I don't know how this measures up to today's gaming standards, but it smokes FS9 and FSX. Mr. Green

If I'd had this in CFS3, you'd all be dead, even IMS Combat!

#12: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:41 am
    ----
the 9800GTX is a good card, had one before I traded up to the 285 Smile

#13: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:20 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
I don't know how this measures up to today's gaming standards

www.tomshardware.co.uk...,2392.html

#14: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:03 pm
    ----
- Shades
- JG300-Ascout
I don't know how this measures up to today's gaming standards

www.tomshardware.co.uk...,2392.html

Well, beggars can't be choosers, under warranty...but's if definitely a quantum leap better than what came out!

#15: Re: Bad news/good news dept. Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:33 pm
    ----
Actually, I was demonstrating that it's not bad.
Plenty of scope for upgrading later but still better than my GS250.

-> Hardware