New Museum in Bastogne
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: New Museum in Bastogne Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:29 pm
    ----
Hi All

After the more or less negative news last year about the McAuliffe HQ in Bastogne there is something new going one. The Belgian MOD has decided that the location will become a new museum dedicated entirly on WWII. The whole collection related to WWII from the Brussels Army Museum will be transfered to Bastogne. At this moment some of the vehicles are already in Bastogne, that is the StuG, JS-3, Stuart, Sherman Vc, M4A1(76)w, M16, Locust. In total about 160 vehicles will move to Bastogne, when the new museum will open its doors is yet unknown.

Tichenor

#2: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:37 pm
    ----
That sounds awesome. I would love to visit Bastogne once again, someday when I win the lottery....

Sadly my last visit was in 1975.

Will they include the M4A3E2 ?

Regards
Don

#3: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:19 pm
    ----
- Tichenor
Bastogne, that is the StuG, JS-3, Stuart, Sherman Vc

You better send them an note, that the IS-3 is not actually WW2

It was used for the first time at the victory parade at 7 september 1945 at Berlin

Michel

#4: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:27 am
    ----
Another question, did the volunteers have the time to "clean" the vehicles after the Tanks in Town ride, or were the vehicles transferred in "as is" condition?

Pierre-Olivier

#5: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:02 am
    ----
That's great news! Brussels Army Museum is excellent, but it really lacks the space to show more AFVs, too many vehicles are kept in reserve. Setting up another place in bastogne seems an excellent choice to me.

Massimo

#6: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:40 am
    ----
- Michel_Krauss

You better send them an note, that the IS-3 is not actually WW2
It was used for the first time at the victory parade at 7 september 1945 at Berlin

Probably thats close enough for some people.

- Dontos

Will they include the M4A3E2 ?

Yes, but I don't know when it will be moved, if I'm informed correctly they are currently giving it an cosmetic restoration. There where plans to restore it to running condition, but that's not going to be.

Tichenor

#7: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:59 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
That's great news! Brussels Army Museum is excellent, but it really lacks the space to show more AFVs, too many vehicles are kept in reserve. Setting up another place in bastogne seems an excellent choice to me.

I mostly agree Massimo, however there are some major drawbacks on the whole project.
A lot of those vehicles are maintained and restored by a volunteer organisation. They did a great job so far, by keeping those vehicles into running condition. This all stops now, the volunteers we did meet in Mons last weekend will not move to Bastogne. We (P-O and I) had a long talk with them, and the only conclusion I could make is that it all has been done to fast without a concrete plan.
Further the already thin budget of the museum has to be divided between Brussel, Bastogne and a new to create depot where the rest of the collection will be stored.
Another sad episode of this is that the bastogne historical center at Mardasson will have to close its doors Evil or Very Mad (a rumor what was very persistent last week)
- the_shadock

Another question, did the volunteers have the time to "clean" the vehicles after the Tanks in Town ride, or were the vehicles transferred in "as is" condition?

P-O They where stripped off the personel stuff and went as they where to Bastogne. The last news is that some people of the museum will go once a month to Bastogne to "look" after the vehicles.

tichenor

#8: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:09 am
    ----
Sure, moving ahead the vehicles, without having any infrastructures already up and running doesn't look like a wise move. Maybe there are "political" reasons behind it?

I failed to consider the implications related to the volunteers. I tend to forget about it, because in Italy there is basically no way such an organization could work. But you are right, that will be a great loss.

Massimo

#9: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:41 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti

Maybe there are "political" reasons behind it?

Massimo, here in Belgium there is always a political reason. Thats the main reason why it's hard to get someting going here.

tichenor

#10: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:26 am
    ----
- Tichenor
Probably thats close enough for some people

Then I would suggest to put an sign there telling the visitors, that the IS-3 is not an real WW2 tank, however post-war

Because the museum staff will go after an week where half of the visitors is telling them that the IS-3 should not be there .... because it is not WW2

If they are already moving tanks, this will also be the reason that the tank court of the Brussel museum is closed at the moment
Was planning to go to the museum, however because the tank section is closed for public I did not make the trip Neutral
The AFV's where the main reason to go, everything else there would be additional fun

Michel

#11: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:33 am
    ----
What I mean is that maybe moving the vehicles is a way to "take ownership" of the place and ensure it will not be used for different purposes

Massimo

#12: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:43 am
    ----
Tichenor

The M4A3E2 dressed as Cobra King in Bastogne, was a nice touch Last Dec.

I have heard that the Brussels 'Jumbo' is supposed to be a 9th AD vehicle, lost in combat.

During a recent reunion here, members of the association had been doing research and had contacted the Brussels Museum regarding the 'Jumbo' in the effort of identifying its true identity.

Perhaps this will be used in that makeover, to get it historically correct.

As for the negative effects of such a vehicle move,....trust me when I say, I can understand. Hopefully some good will result in the move.

Regards
Don

#13: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:39 am
    ----
- Dontos

I have heard that the Brussels 'Jumbo' is supposed to be a 9th AD vehicle, lost in combat.

During a recent reunion here, members of the association had been doing research and had contacted the Brussels Museum regarding the 'Jumbo' in the effort of identifying its true identity.

Perhaps this will be used in that makeover, to get it historically correct.

The story here is that it was left behind at the place where it was before, at Hermeton-sur-Meuse just north of the French-Belgian border. It was recoverd by the museum in the mid 80's. I've inspected the M4A3E2 a few times but I can't remeber seen battle damage on her.
If I had someting to say about her future, I would try to get it historically correct, anyway thanks for the info and will pas it tru to the restoration crew.

Tichenor

#14: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 am
    ----
The location of the ''new'' museum, will that be on an active armed forces facility with the possibility to visit.

Or is it already abandoned by the army and the museum is using the buildings etc?

Regards,
Lesley

#15: Re: New Museum in Bastogne Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:04 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing

The location of the ''new'' museum, will that be on an active armed forces facility with the possibility to visit.

Or is it already abandoned by the army and the museum is using the buildings etc?

The location of the new museum will be at the Heinz Barracks, witch should be empty right now. The unit occupying the facility had time until the first of septembre to clean the barracks.
Tichenor

-> AFV News Discussion Board