Patton Museum: A View behind the walls
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Patton Museum: A View behind the walls Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:09 pm
    ----
On Sept 7 3/4 of the Patton Museum was 'walled up' to facilitate the dismantling of the exhibits that will be moved to Ft Benning.

After tunneling under 'the wall',........well maybe not, but it sounded dramatic. Rolling Eyes

ANYWAY I thought I'd take a few photos to update those who might be interested.

Todays photos are from the 'former' WWII Gallery.

The StuG III stands mute guard over packing crates:

A close up of the original 'Zermmitt' (sp):

More to follow
Regards
Don

#2: Re: Patton Museum: A View behind the walls Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:19 pm
    ----
I did take the opportunity to hop aboard the LVT(A)1. I remeber climbing into this beast back in 2002/2003 when it was stored in RMP. Since then, it has been on display in the WWII Gallery.

The turret is abit dusty....

Climbing into the drivers hatch, this are the controls...

On the drivers left side...

Looking back over the drivers left, the interior...

On a support beam, left rear of the Driver....DATA PLATES!

A close up of the manufactures plate:

Unfortunately the top plate couldn't be read. I'll see about getting better images of this on next visit.

Regards
Don

#3: Re: Patton Museum: A View behind the walls Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:47 pm
    ----
Sad...

#4: Re: Patton Museum: A View behind the walls Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:22 am
    ----
BTW This StuG III....

...will remain here, along with the Iraqi T72 with the unusual exhaust modification.

Regards
Don

#5: Re: Patton Museum: A View behind the walls Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:09 am
    ----
Here is a few additional photos of the Korean War/ Vietnam / Cold War Galleries

The T72 will remain here at the Patton Museum.

Regards
Don

#6: Re: Patton Museum: A View behind the walls Author: warddw PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:11 pm
    ----
I only hope they get everything displayed again quickly...I hate seeing all ths stuff packed up for some reason...

#7: Re: Patton Museum: A View behind the walls Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:19 pm
    ----
- Dontos
Here is a few additional photos of the Korean War/

Regards
Don

It's not often you see a "surrender en masse" exhibit in a museum like that. Wink

#8: Re: Patton Museum: A View behind the walls Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:12 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Dontos
Here is a few additional photos of the Korean War/

Regards
Don

It's not often you see a "surrender en masse" exhibit in a museum like that. Wink

It's the infamous "Grey Velvet Gang" of notorious cat burglars after the Tiger and Panthers Laughing

#9: Re: Patton Museum: A View behind the walls Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:21 am
    ----
Doug, I KNEW you would have to comment on that photo....

Actually I had two thoughts....

1) I was sorta thinking it was the BRAC commission shocked in horror that they will have to pay for light fixtures at 'benning' since the lights will stay in the Museum.......

2) A group in WWII Tanker uniforms, who stood too long at one of the exhibits,.....and their uniforms were stripped off and packed up with the collection.....

Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board