a crying shame
-> Officer's Club

#1: a crying shame Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:04 pm
    ----
www.wingsofliberation....79&lang=en

Crying or Very sad

#2: Re: a crying shame Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:37 pm
    ----
yup, a sad story, just a bunch of bloody morrons that wrecked a relic forever Evil or Very Mad

#3: Re: a crying shame Author: Combat PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:29 am
    ----
always hated the fekkin glee club!

#4: Re: a crying shame Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:52 am
    ----
I've been involved in cargo transportation all of my professional life and that kind of transportation is how I've made my living for the last decade or so.
This, gentlemen, is a classic example of what's known in the trade as, "Piss-Poor-Planning".
The wrong people were put in charge of organising that movement and plainly didn't prepare thoroughly enough.
They should have done a 'walk-through' of that whole journey weeks, if not months, before the movement date to ensure all obstacles en-route could be managed properly.

As a 'by-the-by', one of my colleagues had a similar operation but with an F-15 at a famous airshow a few years back.
I won't name names.... FARNBOROUGH!
Weeks before the show they erect a 'dummy' show, with all the buildings and displays mapped out on the ground so exhibitors can make sure they can maneouver their kit around when the big day arrives.
With the ground taped out for the building locations, my colleague had the F-15 successfully driven to its' display point and back out.
Everyone was happy.
However, a few weeks later, in the build up to the show, they found they couldn't move the F15 to it's site.
The buildings hadn't moved from their map sites.
But, having been constructed, all the 1st floors overhung the base levels and the organisers had previously only taped out the foundation levels!
No room between the Airshow Exhibition buildings for anything as large as the stuff they'd built it to exhibit.

#5: Re: a crying shame Author: siskensLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:17 pm
    ----
Crying or Very sad Having worked with this Museum since it started...I was more than deeply distressed . It's just too bad - each and every volunteer-worker with this beautiful museum is having a bad time: I assure you! The founder, Jan Driessen, died a few weeks ago - I'm afraid he is asking St Peter to be allowed back for some "....................", knowing him.
Well, hopefully there will be a place and time for this C47 to come to a rest...
( visiting the Wings of Liberation: drop me a line and we'll go there together. Just a few miles down the road on the original Hell's Highway, My hometown of Veghel was liberated by the 101st AB and there is still a lot to see.........)

#6: Re: a crying shame Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:02 pm
    ----
Hans,
Was this by any chance 315073, "The SNAFU Special"?
D.

#7: Re: a crying shame Author: siskensLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:36 pm
    ----
OOF..Thank G..., no, it wasn't. It was the one that stood ( for years) as a guard in front of a museum near Arlon in the Belgian Ardennes ( not too far from Bastogne -{ "Nuts!"(McAuliffe)} .
Jan D. acquired the plane and it had a nice place in the woods behind the museum where it was used to give an idea of the situ as in september 1944 .
Follow the links in the Pney message and you'll my friend Jan Driessen. Yes, it's in Dutch but with some perseverance yu'll manage Wink

#8: Re: a crying shame Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:25 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Hans,
Was this by any chance 315073, "The SNAFU Special"?
D.

No it wasn't, but anyway it is a great loss. The C-47 is my preferred airplane and THIS is a sad story.

Pierre-Olivier

-> Officer's Club