M4A3 (105) HVSS (Captured OIF 1)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M4A3 (105) HVSS (Captured OIF 1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:27 pm
    ----
Theres been a lot of talk on this tank back in 2003/04 when captured & then brought to Ft Knox.

I figured I'd revisit it, to see if I could get some good detail photos.

Entry was made thru the BOG Hatch:

Both hatches are frozen open. Here is the Drivers Hatch Cast Numbers:

Interior is trashed. Some parts are gone, but a surprize,.....The Original Data Plate (?) is present:

Here is the exterior Hull Cast Numbers:

Center Stamped Transmission housing SN:

Left Front Transmission SN:

Stamped SN on the right front slope area of tank:

Enjoy
Don

#2: Re: M4A3 (105) HVSS (Captured OIF 1) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:04 pm
    ----
She's come a long way since when I came across her and took this picture,

Kuwait, between Camp New York and Camp New Jersey

#3: Re: M4A3 (105) HVSS (Captured OIF 1) Author: panamadan PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:37 pm
    ----
My buddy has some pics of it when he was overseas. Is this the only 105 that was found, or are there more?
Dan

#4: Re: M4A3 (105) HVSS (Captured OIF 1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:04 am
    ----
I believe it is the only one discovered.

It was moved from its initial discovery location 'hidden' under a highway underpass, to I believe 2 locations in Iraq and then to Kuwait.

I remember alot was made of the vehicle and it eventually made its way here. Unfortunately all the original Iranian markings were painted over, prior to it being shipped to the U.S.

It is my understanding that it was sent here by CMH so that we could cosmetically restore it and then it was to go to another museum. I'm not really sure who gave anyone the impression that the huge amount of work needed could ( or would) have been carried out here, during those 'pre-BRAC' days we (the volunteers) were hard pressed to keep the 'fleet' of operationally restored vehicles maintained on a budget that barely paid for the toilet paper in the museums restrooms.

It was always a source of extreme pride amoung the volunteers to 'field' and 'crew' the large number of 'runners'. Those were awesome times.......

Oppps, sorta got off topic there.....sorry

Regards
Don

#5: Re: M4A3 (105) HVSS (Captured OIF 1) Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:14 am
    ----
The differential housing (marked S66066) came off a Fisher tank - they were the only ones to mark differentials that way. In fact, 66066 was an M4A3(75)W HVSS. I don't think any of these survive, having all been turned into 76mm tanks.

The 4909/6543 marking corresponds to the serial and heat lot of the casting. I'm guessing 4909 is what is cast in the part.

The CP stampings are hull assembly markings. The consensus is that "CP" indicates Chrysler-Plymouth. Chrysler stamped their build numbers on the edge of the glacis plate, on the right, aligned with the lift lug. It's very difficult to see without "excavation".

i75.photobucket.com/al...0_2435.jpg

I was digging through my files and found a reference to that tank as SN 72912. Any chance that's what it might be?

KL

#6: Re: M4A3 (105) HVSS (Captured OIF 1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:47 am
    ----
Kurt

I didn't have the time to get the SN conformation off the tow lugs. The SN is present but obscured. I did take photos, but they are less than desirable. I'll try some cleaning up and get the lug SN.

The data plate needs a little scratch pad scrubbing to get a real good read. I'll get that on next visit. The SN was imprinted on the shipping label so I began with that SN in mind. The data plate 'seems' to verify that, but could be what you have.

With that said, I did find some 'weird' stampings on the left side frontal area, while trying to find the production sequence stamps.

BTW: Here is the Gun Mantle Cast SN:

The tank was tarped, and I really didn't have time to untarp it and do a full photo shoot. I plan to 'revisit' the revisit.

The tank shows numerous signs of getting shot up. Some are recent, but some are most likely the cause of it being captured by the Iraqis during the Iran / Iraq war.

Regards
Don

#7: Re: M4A3 (105) HVSS (Captured OIF 1) Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:04 am
    ----
Don, you are an amazing resource.

KL

#8: Re: M4A3 (105) HVSS (Captured OIF 1) Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:33 am
    ----
I think I may have posted these before, taken at Udari Range summer 2004, she almost became a target at the Kuwaiti Gunnery School

#9: Re: M4A3 (105) HVSS (Captured OIF 1) Author: binder001 PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:27 am
    ----
Well, it does have the "lip" at the base of the commander's cupola.

Don, does it have a "W" inside a "C" on the rear of the turret?

Gary

#10: Re: M4A3 (105) HVSS (Captured OIF 1) Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:41 pm
    ----
- Kurt_Laughlin
Don, you are an amazing resource.

KL

In addition to being the living conscience of "the museum that was".

#11: Re: M4A3 (105) HVSS (Captured OIF 1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:02 pm
    ----
I am humbled... Thank you.

However I have a more realistic view.

So much work, so little time to get it done......

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board