Panther II
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Panther II Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:31 am
    ----
I was able to access the hull crew compartment yesterday.

Being a prototype hull, there was no sign of any type of vehicle specific data plate in the Drivers Compartment.

The only data plate was a gear shift diagram on the transmission housing

Here is a replica I did of the above data plate. Due to poor photos, I took notes of the data plate and made this. I'm sorta doing this for all the vehicle data plates I'm able to locate.....

Oh, and I attempted to acess the engine, thru the back deck. Unfortunately, the center deck 'plate' is way too heavy for just one person, and I couldn't get the engine photos (Perhaps next time I'll have an assistant to get it open.)

Regards
Don

#32: Re: Panther II Author: BruceClark PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:27 pm
    ----
Excellent Thread- and great info Dontos.

For reference there is a single grainy photo of the Panther II hull shortly after capture on Page 25 of Panzer Wrecks volume 1. The weights to simulate the mass of the turret are visible over the turret ring.

Would love to see more info on this- surely APG did an evaluation of this rare beast?

Bruce

#33: Re: Panther II Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:06 pm
    ----
Yeswterday, while running around 'behind the wall' I was able (with assistance) to get the engine access hatch open.

The heavy armor 'plate' weighs well over 200lbs and is not easily opened by two men.

Obviously in excellent condition. I imagine she could crank up with little effort.

These two 'thingies' had data plates. I assume the are part of the ignition system:

BTW: The day nears when a casual observer (on I65) will be able to witness a truck convoy hauling an Sd Kfz 223, Sd Kfz 251/9, Marder II, Panther II, & Tiger II. The German vehicles will be invading Georgia very soon.

Wouldn't THAT be a once in a lifetime scene not to be missed....?! STAY TUNED !!

Regards
Don

#34: Re: Panther II Author: Rikard_HufschmiedLocation: Stockholm, Sweden PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:19 pm
    ----
- Dontos

These two 'thingies' had data plates. I assume the are part of the ignition system:

Yup, Bosch starter/spark magnetos.

#35: Re: Panther II Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:09 pm
    ----
Sneak in and crank it up Smile

Thanks for this post.

#36: Re: Panther II Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:24 pm
    ----
just curious about the round airfilters

If I'm correct the later engine's had square shaped boxes for airfilters

Round one's can be found at the early Tiger I, however they looked different
They where larger in diameter

These look rather small for the engine size Confused

Michel

#37: Re: Panther II Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:02 pm
    ----
Thank you very much!
Usual HL230 engine.

It seems to me that air filters are not original (never seen such filters before).

#38: Re: Panther II Author: panamadan PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:04 am
    ----
So how does one start a Panther? With a button or a key?
Dan

#39: Re: Panther II Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:20 am
    ----
- panamadan
So how does one start a Panther? With a button or a key?
Dan

Neither, and even the engine is an illusion. They are, of course...

"Powered by Money". Wink

#40: Re: Panther II Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:32 am
    ----
I do know the Panzer III had to be started with a manual crank start, a personal experience during the 'Life of the Soldier' demonstration several years ago. (I still have pains in my back regarding that little 'historical experience....)

The engine is manually 'rotated' using a crank handle inserted in a hole in the back then at the appropriate time a pull ring on the back, 'fires' the engine. I was informed after my experience of 3 failed start attempts, having to continually crank the engine, that it usually involved two individuals cranking with a third crewman pulling the crank 'ring'

I assumed all German armored vehicles were the same, although this may be inaccurate.

Not sure if there is a push button electric start, but it would have been nice several years ago....

Regards
Don

#41: Re: Panther II Author: panamadan PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:41 pm
    ----
Don,
I thought that they crank was a back up system...
Wouldn't it be a shame if there was a little red button inside just waiting for you to push it?!
Dan

#42: Re: Panther II Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:10 pm
    ----
There's U-tube footage somewhere of Saumur's King Tiger being handcranked to start.

#43: Re: Panther II Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:26 pm
    ----
Panther start up.>

www.youtube.com/watch?...eature=fvw

Last edited by JWB2 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

#44: Re: Panther II Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:27 pm
    ----
Panther (and any German tank) is started by a key installed in a ignition lock and a starter button which is switching on electric starter.
Some tanks are having inertia starter which is "'rotated' using a crank handle inserted in a hole in the back then at the appropriate time a pull ring on the back".
But some (all late?) of HL230 engines had no inertial starter.

#45: Re: Panther II Author: kettenkrad PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:27 pm
    ----
Interesting King Tiger Start-up using crank

www.youtube.com/watch?...re=related

YouTube

-> AFV News Discussion Board