Digging thru the Archives
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:33 am
    ----
After spending a full day, I picked out a few images that I thought were pretty cool, and might interest some of y'all.

I love shots of tanks 'Pulling Air', even some old ones...

A couple of 'OLD' flame thrower tests....

Moving into the 50's & 60's....

M48A2 firing a test rocket....!?

More to follow
Regards
Don

#2: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:36 am
    ----
For all you M551 Sheridan fans....

AND,....did I mention I love tanks 'pulling air'.....

Regards
Don

#3: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:53 am
    ----
Great pictures Don,

That M48A2 picture looks like the French SS-11 test firing. During that time the Army was wanting to go to missiles since they felt they would be much more effective than cannons. This eventually led to the Shillelagh system. The SS-11 was at this time the best system around.

On the picture of the M551 firing. Is the resolution good enough on the original to make out the RN of the M60A1E2 next to it?

Man I envy your access to the archives.

#4: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:57 am
    ----
Ask & ye shall receive....

The M60A1E2 is RN 09A05667.

Regards
Don

#5: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:03 am
    ----
I wouldn't have liked to have been in that Sheridan when it landed, it may be a pond, but I'd bet it didn't do the crews' spines any good!

#6: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:38 am
    ----
I've done that sort of thing in a Sheridan myself. Typically, there would not be a full crew on board, and the driver has a lot of sand for doing that with the hatch open!

#7: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:51 am
    ----
I've done this 'manuever' in an Abrams, several times over the years,.....generally the driver is grinning (till the mud hits him in the face...) but turret crew tends to be using a 'death grip' attempting to hold on, to anything, prior to 'splash down'.....

As a gunner, the results of several episodes of pulling air, have accounted for 7 missing teeth, a partially seperated right shoulder, nose 'realignment', and a couple of 'face hits' on the GPS.

Did I mention how I LOVED being a Tanker !?

Regards
Don

#8: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:42 pm
    ----
I agree with Joe that it's a Frech SS-11 missile. The Army did use these in helicopters for awhile.

#9: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:56 pm
    ----
I did 'stumble' onto a whole slew of M551 images. They range from testing to training, and even Ops Desert Storm deployment and the dreaded OPFOR at NTC.

Regards
Don

#10: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:29 pm
    ----
- Dontos
I did 'stumble' onto a whole slew of M551 images. They range from testing to training, and even Ops Desert Storm deployment and the dreaded OPFOR at NTC.

Regards
Don

Can you think of anyone who might like to get copies of those? Wink

#11: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:18 pm
    ----
Don,

Thanks for the RN, She's one that has eluded me till now, Knew of the RN but never seen any pictures of her. Since you do have such great access, ya think you could when able copy down all the RN's from the M60A1E1/E2 pictures you come across? There's not too many.

M60A1E1: RN 9B3129, RN 9B3140, RN 9B4057, RN 9B4470

M60A1E2: RN 09A05667, RN 09A05767, RN 09A93869, RN 09A93969

The RN in bold I have no pictures of at all. It would also be great if you came across an RN not listed above. JK RN's are M60A2's so I'm not concerned with them. Trying to solve a puzzle.

We used to "Catch Air" with the OPFOR M551's at NTC, a lot of times unintentionally due to the infamous "smoke screens" or night missions. Broke two bones in my wrist and cracked my tail bone on separate occasions in those little beasts. Say what you want about them, but the hull/suspension system was tough as nails. Weakest link in the drive train was the "Flex-Plate" on the flywheel that would sheer if you did too many "Sagger Drills".

Mark,

That SS-11 set up looks very similar to the one the French Army installed on their AMX-13 for a while. Forgot about the Helicopter set up.

#12: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:43 pm
    ----
I was in the Tennessee National Guard for a year around 1980. I was assigned to Attack Helicopter Company, 278th ACR and we had Hueys with the SS-11 system even though they didn't make the missiles anymore.

#13: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:44 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
- Dontos

Regards
Don

Me!!!!

#14: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:48 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
- Doug_Kibbey
- Dontos

Regards
Don

Me!!!!

Well, heck...me too, if someone offers them! Gonna build one of 'em one of these days, once the kids are grown, and the house is fixed, and I'm not traveling for my rich Uncle anymore. (I'm thinking I'll have a weekend or two after I've been retired a couple of years!)

#15: Re: Digging thru the Archives Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:41 am
    ----
Joe

I'll keep an eye out for anymore M60A1E2 photos & RN references.

As for more M551 images, I'll start a new thread for some 'select' photos.

(Note: My standard use computer caught a 'cold' yesterday. Trying to get it 'diagnosed', so in the interium, I'm using a different computer. It'll take some effort to back up/transfer stuff. Luckily I was prepared this time. No loss of photos, just loss of convience. Stay tuned

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board