Anyone for an armoured vehicle ?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Anyone for an armoured vehicle ? Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:43 am
    ----
Rolls-Royce Armoured Car 101WO for sale:

www.milweb.net/webverts/54204/

www.rolls-royce101wo.net/

#2: Re: Anyone for an armoured vehicle ? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:13 am
    ----
P-O may want to ammend the entry in the registry, it's virtually a replica!

#3: Re: Anyone for an armoured vehicle ? Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:25 am
    ----
Yes, especially if you think it's soft steel and aluminium...

Massimo

#4: Re: Anyone for an armoured vehicle ? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:51 pm
    ----
Judging by what that website says.
"The armoured bodies were removed prior to auction, so as to decommission the car completely"

"101WO was bought at auction with a few of the other chassis on offer. Subsequently it was then sold to a collector who decided it would be right to remanufacture a correct and exacting body to what was originally fitted. The car underwent a comprehensive restoration which involved painstakingly taking measurements from the armoured car owned by the Irish Government, ARR2 "Sliabh na mBan", from which new drawings were created for a body to be built exactly the same as the original had appeared. The only two exceptions are that the metal is not armour plate due to the process requiring dipping in arsenic and it sports a much more practical aluminium bonnet, enabling opening with relative ease compared to the original which weighed considerably more"
One of those areas where what is "restoration" and what is "replication" are debated?
Still, it's more "original" than many of the warbirds now flying, where it seems that a dataplate and a few other bits of metal are enough!

On a beach near Calais

After being removed from under a beach near Calais
Now being "restored" to flying condition by HFL at Duxford.
When I see it fly, will I care that it's 90% new or made of bits from other wrecks?
Will I heck!

I wonder where the other chassis are? Possibly now adorned with "civilian" bodywork?

#5: Re: Anyone for an armoured vehicle ? Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:40 am
    ----
SU-100
Solid technical condition, moves. Deactivated gun (Bulgaria)
www.milweb.net/classif...6639&cat=1

-> AFV News Discussion Board