THE MOVE.....(update)
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#46: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:55 am
    ----
- Dontos
AND, at 1430 hrs, 8 Dec 2010.....

Sadly, I'll never see her ever again,......the end of a major chapter in my life.

Don

And I wouldn't be surprised if nobody else did, either. Rolling Eyes

#47: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:29 am
    ----
Three of the most popular tanks are scheduled to move tomorrow from the Patton Museum to Fort Benning. They are the Tiger II, Panther II and the World War I Mark V*. Heavy equipment will start setting up at 0800 hrs. EST Tuesday, December 14. If you want to see them again, tomorrow is the day. armorfortheages.com/

Garry

#48: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:36 pm
    ----
I'd love to be there.

#49: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:43 pm
    ----
I am remembering the times when in 2007 our restoration group was prohibited to work in Kubinka due to crazy "politic" reason.
Then I thought that this is for long time and said goodbye to tanks.

But after only 1 year we were called back...

So never say never...

#50: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:35 am
    ----
Koluchiy

In 2006-07, Politics around the Museum got real ugly. It was not fun to be around so I 'walked away' from active involvement for a number of years.

In late 2008 early 2009, I started going back, for a number of reasons. Although I am one of the biggest opponents to the ongoing BRAC move, I have been very active in alot of projects with the goal of moving the Armor collection to Ft Benning. I figure it is my last chance to be 'up close and personal' with these vehicles and something I didn't feel was worth missing.

It is a sad time for all the volunteers to watch the 'fruits of their labor' go out the door. Personally I have come to accept the departure even though I too have some very personal attachments to some of the individual vehicles.

BUT,....The Patton Museum is not leaving, we're just getting a bunch of NEW (old) STUFF!! Its sorta neat to think that now we need to rebuild a reformatted museum, and assist in making it better, if thats possible.

We might not have all the tanks as before, but the historic home of Armor has been, and will always be Ft Knox. Its the new museum that will 'tell the story' along with a larger story line.

My work to preserve the M50A1 Ontos (USMC 226684) is history but it is history that I helped to preserve for a few more generations. Mission accomplished!!

Now its time for me to shift focus, and find something else to work on. There are a few items that I have in mind, so my work is not done. Its just beginning,.....again!

Regards
Don

#51: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:44 pm
    ----
"Elvis has left the building...."

Yesterday, 15 Dec, the final vehicles of the departing Armor Museum, heading for Ft Benning, were removed from the interior of the Patton Museum.

Regards
Don

#52: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:08 pm
    ----
Don, Thank you for these pics........

#53: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: binder001 PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:43 pm
    ----
Don,

Thanks for the updates. I know the Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor had its ups and downs, but it was usually the place that we could count on trying to PRESERVE the vehicles versus letting them rust in the Maryland salt air for decade after decade.

A BIG THANK to Don, Gary Redmond, and all the other volunteers who brought us these years of great memories. I will always have fond memories of my visits to Ft. Knox over the years. A nice post with friendly people.

Best of luck as the new George Patton Museum opens and gathers speed.

Gary Binder

#54: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:33 pm
    ----
- Dontos
"Elvis has left the building...."

Yesterday, 15 Dec, the final vehicles of the departing Armor Museum, heading for Ft Benning, were removed from the interior of the Patton Museum.

Regards
Don

I'm literally praying that these beautifully maintained machines will be housed somewhere indoors and/or sheltered from the weather. It's heartbreaking to think that they could be stored exposed and have all that meticulous painting and restoration damaged. Fingers crossed...but afraid I already know the answer...

Chuck

#55: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:42 pm
    ----
- binder001
Don,

Thanks for the updates. I know the Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor had its ups and downs, but it was usually the place that we could count on trying to PRESERVE the vehicles versus letting them rust in the Maryland salt air for decade after decade.

A BIG THANK to Don, Gary Redmond, and all the other volunteers who brought us these years of great memories. I will always have fond memories of my visits to Ft. Knox over the years. A nice post with friendly people.

Best of luck as the new George Patton Museum opens and gathers speed.

Gary Binder

+1

#56: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:02 pm
    ----
Thanks Gary for the words of appreciation. It's hard seeing them leave and hard knowing what could have been if we had more time and money. I hope that we can help create another interesting museum that will be attended by as many visitors as before and that we do justice for the veterans that will visit in the future.

#57: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:43 am
    ----
The Volunteer News section on Armor for the Ages has been updated with more photos of the recent moves.

armorfortheages.com/

Garry

#58: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:35 am
    ----
A very special thanks goes out to Geoff Walden.

Today I received a Christmas Eve - Eve present....

Geoff was onhand to see the Panther II & Tiger II being loaded. He shot some awesome photos and video segments and was kind enough to send me a copy!!

With his kind permission, here are just a few:

First of all,.....THE KING !!

More to follow
Regards
Don

#59: Re: THE MOVE.....(update) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:43 am
    ----
And for the finale.....

The Panther II:

BTW: I did receive a phone call from contact at Ft Benning who witnessed the Tiger II & Panther II rolling onto Post.

Thanks again Geoff
Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board