German Artillery piece in Volo Auto Museum
-> Artillery Forum

#1: German Artillery piece in Volo Auto Museum Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:29 pm
    ----
I've posted a number of photos from the Military collection of the Volo Auto Museum in Volo, IL - the link to the full gallery is below.

The museum has this German piece and thought you all might like to see it. The museum placard says that it was used in filming "Band of Brothers". A number of the other military vehicles in the collection were used in film and TV work as well.

Enjoy!

Full Gallery:
afvagabond.smugmug.com...7638_s9DTR

#2: Re: German Artillery piece in Volo Auto Museum Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:27 pm
    ----
Is this a 15 cm Feldhaubitze 18 L ?

#3: Re: German Artillery piece in Volo Auto Museum Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:02 pm
    ----
I think you mean the 105mm LeFH 18 Wink

#4: Re: German Artillery piece in Volo Auto Museum Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:19 am
    ----
I have a question, didn't the Germans most always use centimeters and not millimeters for designation of bore size? I see this listed as 10.5cm leichte Feldhaubitze 18 or 10.5cm le FH 18 in Hoggs book.

#5: Re: German Artillery piece in Volo Auto Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:40 pm
    ----
- armyjunk2
I have a question, didn't the Germans most always use centimeters and not millimeters for designation of bore size?

Yes. same for the Austro-hungarians. Swiss Army did the same for a long time too.

#6: Re: German Artillery piece in Volo Auto Museum Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:54 pm
    ----
Michel I thought the 10,5 cm had different wheels
Look at this picture

#7: Re: German Artillery piece in Volo Auto Museum Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:41 pm
    ----
- walter
I have a question, didn't the Germans most always use centimeters and not millimeters for designation of bore size

there have been some confusion with . and , before so I decided to make it safe and write 105mm Mr. Green

Concerning the wheels, the one in the picture is an 15cm s Feldhaubitze and this wheels appear almost the same
However there are some differences

If you check the wheels of this gun at the picture collection you will see that they are very small in width
The wheels of the 15cm are 3-4 times larger in width

Also the gunshield is the same as the one used at the 10.5, the 15cm was not fitted with an gun shield

The barrel of the 15cm is much longer then the one in this picture, this barrel length would fit the 10.5cm

Besides the difference of the wheels not being the standard 10.5cm, also the muzzle brake is missing

Michel

#8: Re: German Artillery piece in Volo Auto Museum Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:38 pm
    ----
Hi all,

I thought I'd go ahead and post the other photos from the site - to make comparison easier.

The consensus seems to be that it is most likely an FH 18 10.5cm (or 105mm) Smile with unusual wheels - am I correct?

Other photos:

Thanks for the continuing help IDing this one!

Cheers!

#9: Re: German Artillery piece in Volo Auto Museum Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:59 am
    ----
The wheels and other parts could be replicas. It's hard to tell

Massimo

#10: Re: German Artillery piece in Volo Auto Museum Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:28 pm
    ----
I did some checking at the wheels and they could be real WW2

The 15cm Schwere Feldhaubitze used an sort of front carrige for transportation
This carriage had wheels similar to the one's in the picture

I could find an picture of the real thing at wikipedia

upload.wikimedia.org/w...3%BCtz.jpg

So the wheels could be on loan from an 15cm schwere Faeldhaubitze

Michel

#11: Re: German Artillery piece in Volo Auto Museum Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:31 am
    ----
" sort of front carrige for transportation" these are called a Limber

I borrowed Vagabonds pic from the same museum, guys that can make a replica Brit 25 pounder can change out some wheels on the German piece.

-> Artillery Forum