'Buster' Lives (M60A1)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:34 pm
    ----
Its been a couple of years since the M60A1 with blazer armor has been seen around the USMC Detatchment on Ft Knox.

'Buster' (USMC 399630) is the actual vehicle that served as the Battalion Cmdrs tank of 1st Tank Bn during Operation Desert Storm. It has been here at Ft Knox swince returning from ODS in 1992.

Today she was brought to RMP so that USMC volunteers could pull the pac & do some repairs. The generator is bad, so they'll replace it.

Here are a few photos I took.

I did get some video of her starting up and backing into the bay as well as a lot more photos.

More to follow
Regards
Don

#2: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:09 am
    ----
Before backing into the bay, a fuel line had to be replaced and then a jump start.

Once in the bay the turret was traversed to facilitate pulling the PAC.

Before backing into the bay, I happened to get some detailed photos of the turret castings SNs.

From the top to the turret:

...And the left side of the turret:

Joe- There is interest in any knowledgable M60 crew / mechanic who might be able to assist in the generator replacement,....HINT HINT...!?

Regards
Don

#3: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:20 pm
    ----
They probably checked it already but there is a reset switch on the voltage regulator IIRC.

#4: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:52 pm
    ----
Ooh, ooh, ooh,

I want to play!

Mark has a good point.

Are we "Absolutely Positive" the Generator is at fault ? Do they know the trouble shooting procedures for the 650amp oil cooled generator ? There is a very big difference in the systems compared to the old 300amp air cooled and the 650 amp oil cooled models. IIRC AVLB's still should be using the AVDS-1790-2D model engines which use the 300 amp system, so unless your guys have worked on 2C or 2CA engines, it will be a bit confusing. "Buster" should be equipped with a 1790-2CA, which means she uses the later "Clean Air" package called VEDES.

Hopefully I'm not offending anyone asking these questions, but maybe the generator is still good and was misdiagnosed? I would hold off on pulling pack. Use TB 9-2350-257-20-1, trouble shooting guide for 650amp systems. If you need a copy I can send one to you (I have on Digits). What time frame are we talking about fixing her? I might be able to come down and help (If they'll let me). Send me a PM with the particulars. I also have the removal and installation procedures if it needs to be replaced.

The chance to work on an operational M60, I'm giddy with anticipation

#5: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:34 pm
    ----
The serial looks like 7108 instead of 7109. Is this correct?

Regards,
Lesley

#6: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:02 pm
    ----
7108 is correct,

Somehow I had 7109 too. Just changed my Data base back. I originally had 7108. Version 3.0 of the register has 7108 too. The tow lug on this tank was pretty hard to read when I last checked her, maybe I messed this up. Good catch.

#7: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:57 am
    ----
Joe

I'll be there today, hopefully. I believe its the air-cooled generator.

The engine is fairly 'new' so type is in question....besides, "its just not my bag baby!!"

7108 is the SN. BTW here is the rebuild data plate

BTW: I really dont know the timeframe on the work. The USMC Tanker who is heading the work, is very dedicated to this tank and has been working on it for sometime. I'll know more today. I assume hes looking at working on it immediately. I might find the pac on the ground this morning,..... I'll pass along the above suggestions but I believe it has been properly diagnosed.

Regards
Don

#8: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:12 pm
    ----
Heres the updated 'scoop'.

'Buster' needs the generator change due to the fact the older one is non-operational. But this is not the only problem.

There is no elevation control (ie hydro & manual crank are nonoperational) The gun 'bounces' and falls without wood blocks on interior to support it. Hydro fluid is full in resevoir....

The other problem is NO TURRET POWER. (possible 'slip ring' malfunction....still being diagnosed.)

There is significant cable deterioration due to squirrels nibbling on the wiring harness in the turret.

The POC wants to pull the pac in a few weeks (sooner if anyone wants to help...hint, hint) He will be gone TDY next week....

A troubleshooting guide (beyond operator level) would be awesome....

More to follow
Regards
Don

#9: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:36 pm
    ----
Don,

I'd love to help, give me a date. Depending when, I can commit for 2-3 days to help. I can bring all my relevant manuals to include A1 turret trouble shooting.

There is significant cable deterioration due to squirrels nibbling on the wiring harness in the turret.

Bloody squirrels, could be rats/mice too, not unusual, happened to a few tanks I served on but damage was limited to CVC's and the ballistic nylon gun shield inside.

Let me know what they want to do.

#10: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:24 pm
    ----
I received some photos to update the activity surrounding 'Buster'. I thought I'd post a few for the interested....

A crew of volunteers from the USMC detatchment continues doing some work on 'Buster'

Pulling her PAC to check out the engine as well as replace the non-operational generator.

More updates as I get them...
Enjoy
Regards
Don

#11: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:18 pm
    ----
Don, any word about the USMC Detachment - and Buster for that matter - heading south to Benning? Doesnt seem to be much reason for them to be at Knox anymore (no offense intended of course)...

Neil

#12: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:25 pm
    ----
I've heard that the USMC detatchment will also move to Ft Benning. 'Buster' is the property of the USMC detatchment and not the Army. BUT I believe 'Buster' will be in the final shipments to head south in the Spring.

Currently 'Buster' is still in Bldg 6115 in Richardson MP.

( Of course, no offense taken ) Just a little twist of that knife in my back!!! ....But I've long since gotten used to the feeling...(HA HA HA)

Regards
Don

#13: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: Tanker1812 PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:31 pm
    ----
Hey fellas, I was surfing the internet and came across this sight. I am the Marine that was doing most of the work on Buster, so I wanted to let you guys and anyone else on here who cares what took place. So in fall of last year I convinced the Det commander to let me take buster to Richardson Hall so I could try to do some work on her mainly just because i like m60s and wanted to do what I could to make her as good as she could be. Prior to me taking possession she was in pretty bad shape. A year prior I had driven her to our old commanders retirement, during the drive she kept shutting off every 20 or so meters so it was a long painful drive. After the ceremony it was decided that we would tow it back with the 88. Well I was not there to supervise the towing and the mechanics couldnt figure out how to release the parking brake so they drug it with the brakes locked and destroyed the tranny and brakes. Now while that seemed to be the end of Buster being a running tank I convinced the new commander to get a new engine and transmission for Buster via shady paperwork involving a non existing AVLB. Months later we had the new pack assembly. Being that I am a tanker and not a mechanic I was told to let the mechs put the pack in. They eventually got it in but in the process broke a fuel return line and could not figure out how to get the generator to hook up. This was the point where I took over the project and with the help of OB and Cammo we got her hauled down to richardson hall. My primary goals were to fix the fuel line and figure out the gen situation because even before the new pack the gen did not work. Once i got the pack out I realized immediately why gen wouldn't work and it was because it was a 300 amp gen because that is the one that an AVLB uses. My first thought was to try to switch it out with and 650 amp oild cooled that OB was gonna let me have off an old pack. I found after some research that that would be a large task and nobody could even ensure me that it could be done because there were some differences on the pack it self not only the problem of oil lines and such. So i switched gears and tried to find out if it would be possible to use a harness from the 650 amp and use it on a 300 amp again couldnt confirm or deny. I eneded up saying screw it and i yanked the harnes off the 650 and put it on the new 300. Just so you understand the problem with the 300 was the cables didnt match up so I was hoping that just changing the harness it would get some power enough to charge the batteries a bit. During the switch I was aos informed to check the voltage reg in the sub turret and it was off which may have been the problem concerning the old engine but either way the gen was my problem now. The pack stayed out for a long time even after I switched the harness as I was trying to find a ground hop kit. Never found one so I was running out of time due to the BRAC move that Buster was going on. I threw in the pack and the gen cable would not work as soon as they ends touched there was a serous arch. At this point I needed to take the tank out of richardson and to Potts motor pool where I worked so i could have constant access to her to try to finish the little things i wanted to try to do. All I was able to accomplish was through the entire process was, Fixed fuel line, replaced batteries, thorough cleaning, entire lube order, fixed the bouncing gun by installing a turn buckle in place of the broken elevation mech, cleaned air filters, and alot of other odds and ends things. But overall im going to give u the status of Buster as she was in early May when i drove her onto the truck Benning bound.
Buster is a m60a1 rise/passive and has not been dmiled at all only thing missing was the firing pin all sights rangefinder are operational. Until the new batteries die she starts and drives on her own. The brakes i could not repair so she has no brakes at all. Everything electrical in the hull is works this includes drivers night sight, bilge pump heater etc. The engine and tranny are new as of 2010. She got a paint job back in 2009 standard USMC desert. There is no power to the turret at all, the turret is manually traversed and now the gun must be elevated using the turn buckle I installed. She has a small 30wt leak coming from where the engine and tranny join could not find exact spot to save my life. This is Buster as i left her. She now sits at the Marine Detachment HQ in Fort Benning. I know there was talk of it going to the Patton Museum but the det commander is not aware that that tank is not for him to give it is officially property of the Marine Museum and they know it exists. The sad truth is she will sit outside for years and fade away until someone else comes along in a few years and takes an interest as I did. Thank you all you who helped me on Buster weather it be answering questions or out there working with me. I'm glad someone other than me cares about this stuff.

#14: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:11 pm
    ----
Tanker1812 - welcome! Welcome That's a sad but fascinating tale. Yes, we do care about that stuff here.

I wrote up Buster for PreservedTanks.com some time ago, mostly with information and photos from Dontos (see the start of this thread). It might bring back some memories for you. I'll make a note to add your update (and the BRAC move) as soon as I get the chance.

M60A1 Buster

#15: Re: 'Buster' Lives (M60A1) Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:39 pm
    ----
Hey Tanker1812

You'll notice that I did catch you 'in action' is some of the photos previously posted.

I know 'Buster' is at Ft Benning and hopefully will get more needed attention from 'like minded' fellow Marine Tankers.

borrowing from the Corps: I believe that all true 'Armor Professionals' would feel obliged to remember the experiences of Armor History and the 'chariots' that allowed them to 'Ride to the Sound of the Guns",......Semper Fi

Regards
Don

-> AFV News Discussion Board