SHERMAN ID?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: SHERMAN ID? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:19 am
    ----
What do we have here?

#2: Re: SHERMAN ID? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:45 am
    ----
Very early M4A1. Notice the M3 style return rollers (centered over the VVSS units) and the twin fixed Bow machine guns. The Turret is turned so the gun (possibly an early short barrelled 75 with a counterweight. This tank would be a near twin to 'Michael' the first M4A1 delivered to the UK and now in the museum in Bovington

Last edited by bsmart on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: SHERMAN ID? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:40 pm
    ----
Thanks, Bob. When I looked at it I thought the turret was centered and it had no gun. Photo from National Archives.

#4: Re: SHERMAN ID? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:24 pm
    ----
Yea the shadow on the turret threw me for a minute. Then I realized the low bustle was over the right side. It is interesting based on current concepts of non discrimination there do not appear to be any Asian, Latino or African heritage Americans in the picture Rolling Eyes

#5: Re: SHERMAN ID? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:10 am
    ----
- bsmart
Yea the shadow on the turret threw me for a minute. Then I realized the low bustle was over the right side. It is interesting based on current concepts of non discrimination there do not appear to be any Asian, Latino or African heritage Americans in the picture Rolling Eyes

I think "Williams" may be fulfilling one of those roles.

"Asian" was a conflicted word at that time. "Schmidt" from Milwaukee wasn't in the same perceptual category as Nakano from L.A.

#6: Re: SHERMAN ID? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:11 am
    ----
No women or people in wheelchairs. Wouldn't cut it today.

#7: Re: SHERMAN ID? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:36 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway
No women or people in wheelchairs. Wouldn't cut it today.

To say nothing about the hard hats or 'suitable protective clothing'

#8: Re: SHERMAN ID? Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:23 am
    ----
Hey y'all are slipping. I just noticed a mistake in my ID Shocked (I've corrected it) I said the suspension units were HVSS. They aren't they are the older VVSS. I meant VVSS but for some reason typed HVSS although I mentioned the M3 type return rollers (only applicable to VVSS units.

Shame on you all Sad back to vehicle ID class Mr. Green remember attention to detail!

#9: Re: SHERMAN ID? Author: Garry_RedmonLocation: Kentucky PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:32 am
    ----
We knew what you meant. Smile

#10: Re: SHERMAN ID? Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:34 am
    ----
- bsmart
Hey y'all are slipping. I just noticed a mistake in my ID Shocked (I've corrected it) I said the suspension units were HVSS. They aren't they are the older VVSS. I meant VVSS but for some reason typed HVSS although I mentioned the M3 type return rollers (only applicable to VVSS units.

Shame on you all Sad back to vehicle ID class Mr. Green remember attention to detail!

I put it down to advanced old age Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board