De-militarisation of armoured vehicles in your countries
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: De-militarisation of armoured vehicles in your countries Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:44 pm
    ----
I would like to ask you for links or information’s to de-militarisation law acts devoted military equipment in your countries or description of it.

What you must to do, to trade with military vehicles and artillery or be a legal owner of it in your country (for example: Germany, Holland, Belgium, France, Italy, UK, USA, Russia, …. ).

What you must do that an armoured vehicle (ex-army vehicle) can be offered on civil market.

I need those information’s to compare them with law in Poland.

#2: Re: De-militarisation of armoured vehicles in your countries Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:19 am
    ----
Hi,

There is probably someone with better info than me, but here is what I know:

US law generally prohibits the sale of military weapons by the US government. Tanks, armored vehicles and artillery fall under the general definition of 'weapons'. Vehicles can be provided to other nations under the Military Assistance Program (MAP) or similar programs, and may be paid for by the receiving nation.

Disposition of the vehicles when the receiving nation is done using the equipment depends on the agreement and the US desire to recover it. However technically, vehicles 'sold' to US allies remain the property of the US and cannot be transferred to private/civilian/commercial parties. The Italian M46s were eventually returned to the US (witness the number of former Italian M46s we've been tracking around the US). Others are still in the possession of the nation they were provided to, such as the largish number of M60s in the hands of Israel.

WWII-era vehicles are sometimes (not always) exceptions to this rule, because they both pre-date the MAP programs and were provided under different legal restrictions. The vehicle status may also depend on whether the US government has any interest in the vehicle or who may be obtaining title to it. Sometimes it's just not worth it for the US government to bother trying to recover the item. A number of US vehicles are either on long-term loan to a foreign museum, or are just judged to be in 'safe' hands.

Vehicles captured by enemies, of either the US or by enemies of the nations that received MAP equipment, is somewhat more murky. Legally they may be "spoils of war", or they may still be US property. Again, the US government has to make a decision to bother sorting it out. However, US law still governs the acquisition of such weapons by US citizens, and may prohibit them from owning them regardless of the source.

As I said, I'm sure that someone here will have more precise info, but this gives you a broad idea of the rules.

Chuck

#3: Re: De-militarisation of armoured vehicles in your countries Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:14 am
    ----
Chuck,
If I understand the question correctly, he wants to know what are the laws/rules/guidelines for rendering the vehicles "non-operational" for transfer to private hands. Cutting guns, welding breeches, etc.

I've seen it done a number of ways, but don't how the method is established.

I wonder what will become of the M60A3's in Brasil?

-> AFV News Discussion Board