M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:45 am
    ----
Hi,

Photographed in April 2008, located at the corner or 5th Street and B Avenue, in front of the 11ACR HQ. I can confirm it was still at that location as of January 2009.

This is the only stamped marking. Looking at it, I think it may be both the Registration Number (12B491) and S/N (70). Any thoughts about that?

She's in good shape, probably still being run until the last 10 years or so.

Chuck

#2: Re: M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:05 am
    ----
How many M551's are at Fort Irwin:

M551 Sheridan – 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment HQ, Fort Irwin, CA (USA)
M551 Sheridan OPFOR T-72 – Operations Group HQ, Fort Irwin, CA (USA)
2x M551 Sheridan OPFOR T-72 – 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment Museum, Fort Irwin, CA (USA)

#3: Re: M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:39 pm
    ----
If it is an M551A1 the laser range finder has been removed. Since it appears to have the newer grenade launchers I'd guess that is the case.

#4: Re: M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:57 pm
    ----
- bialy-r
How many M551's are at Fort Irwin:

M551 Sheridan – 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment HQ, Fort Irwin, CA (USA)
M551 Sheridan OPFOR T-72 – Operations Group HQ, Fort Irwin, CA (USA)
2x M551 Sheridan OPFOR T-72 – 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment Museum, Fort Irwin, CA (USA)

Hi,

I have pics of all of them, but haven't had time to process them. The others are all VISMODs, and I'll post them in the next couple of days.

I believe that four is the correct total. The two at the Museum were the same pair that used to sit inside the 11ACR motorpool gates.

Chuck

#5: Re: M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:15 pm
    ----
- C_Sherman
Hi,

Photographed in April 2008, located at the corner or 5th Street and B Avenue, in front of the 11ACR HQ. I can confirm it was still at that location as of January 2009.

Chuck

That looks to be the same vehicle that was formerly parked by the Cobra on pylons, but with a new paint-job and with the canvas securing webs removed from the ammo boxes and jerry can (which I thought added authenticity). This was as it appeared in '03 and '06.

I think there was a BMP on that site at 11th Cav previously.

In '06, there were two complete VISMODS on "display", side by side on either side of the motor park gate. This one was LTC Blackburn's, one of my hosts at the time.The other was his CSM's, I believe, I have pic of that one also.

#6: Re: M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:57 pm
    ----
After looking at the older picture I'd say those grenade launchers are fabricated. Without the laser range finder in the cupola it would be hard to tell if this was an M551 or M551A1 without looking inside. Note the registration number ends in '70'. For awhile the reg numbers ended with the year of manufacture.

#7: Re: M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:48 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
After looking at the older picture I'd say those grenade launchers are fabricated.

Mark,
Pretty sure of that also. They are little more than pieces of pipe with two flanges on them.

We were going to get in that one, but were handed the keys to the Sherman by mistake, so got in that one by default. Haven't been in this Sheridan.
D.

#8: Re: M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:47 pm
    ----
The A1 along with the Laser Range Finder had a new cupola traverse mechanism and the laser-safe M127A1 telescope.

#9: Re: M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:02 pm
    ----
- C_Sherman
Hi,

She's in good shape, probably still being run until the last 10 years or so.

Chuck

Photo's and location added, thanks Chuck - please let me know if I got the location wrong:

Unique ID 1335: Fort Irwin M551

- Doug_Kibbey

That looks to be the same vehicle that was formerly parked by the Cobra on pylons, but with a new paint-job and with the canvas securing webs removed from the ammo boxes and jerry can (which I thought added authenticity). This was as it appeared in '03 and '06.

I think there was a BMP on that site at 11th Cav previously.

In '06, there were two complete VISMODS on "display", side by side on either side of the motor park gate. This one was LTC Blackburn's, one of my hosts at the time.The other was his CSM's, I believe, I have pic of that one also.

Doug, could I use your pictures?

#10: Re: M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:22 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum

Doug, could I use your pictures?

Most certainly. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, overlooked this thread as of late.

I have other views of the "display" Sheridan without the Cobra in the frame, if you prefer.

Need them in higher resolution?

D.

Here's a more carefully edited version of 001

#11: Re: M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:23 pm
    ----
Any pictures you have are appreciated. If you have a link to a Photobucket album or similar, and if you're happy to, I can select directly from it. Any time I use a picture I post a link here anyway to show how it was used and so it can be checked.

#12: Re: M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:54 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
If you have a link to a Photobucket album or similar, and if you're happy to, I can select directly from it. Any time I use a picture I post a link here anyway to show how it was used and so it can be checked.

Laughing You don't know what you're asking, Trevor. I have ~1,000 images neatly arranged into.....one album. Rolling Eyes I doubt you have the patience to wade through bad comics, handguns, covers from "The War That Time Forgot", flight simulator screenshots, cute doggie pictures and cars-and-motorcycles-that-I-have-known to get to the "good stuff".

I set up three albums when I started using Photobucket, but two of them are empty. This means that searching for an image on my account is a nightmare even for me. Wink Not surprisingly, sometimes I just give up and reload the same pic again.

Thankfully, my HD's are considerably better organized. Laughing

#13: Re: M551A1 - Ft. Irwin, CA Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 am
    ----
Speaking of, can I move pics from one photobucket album to another without breaking pre-existing links?

Nevermind, just tried it and got a warning that was an explicit "NO".

So much for trying to get organized. Rolling Eyes

-> AFV News Discussion Board