M551 Photo (Attention Doug K)
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M551 Photo (Attention Doug K) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:35 am
    ----

#2: Re: M551 Photo (Attention Doug K) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:22 am
    ----
Looks like early in 1st Sqdn. deployment of Sheridans. All the swimgear, spotlight, grenade launchers intact with minimal "body damage". Lightly modified with ACAV gunshield. Note no bustle racks and minimal exterior stowage. All that would change over time. I'd guess this was '69 or early '70 at the latest.
Notice all the asbestos sleeves for the CC cartridge bases. That didn't last long either.

Good photo of canister vs. HE-T rounds.

#3: Re: M551 Photo (Attention Doug K) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:55 pm
    ----
I think these are HEAT-T-MP rounds. The HE-T were shaped a little different.
www.inetres.com/gp/mil...M657A2.gif

#4: Re: M551 Photo (Attention Doug K) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:37 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway
I think these are HEAT-T-MP rounds. The HE-T were shaped a little different.
www.inetres.com/gp/mil...M657A2.gif

Which would be interesting, HE-T was preferred for all but anti-personnel. Maybe HEAT was all they had in the pipeline in those early Sheridan days in VN.

#5: Re: M551 Photo (Attention Doug K) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:55 pm
    ----
Doug, Until I saw this photo I had always thought that HE-T was all they had aside from canister. So this was news to me.

#6: Re: M551 Photo (Attention Doug K) Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:34 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Doug, Until I saw this photo I had always thought that HE-T was all they had aside from canister. So this was news to me.

I have to think that this early in the Sheridan deployment, they sent what they had. Those vehicles are still "virgins" in their configuration, what with no mods and no form of bustle rack or rear deck racks whatsoever. Note no ammo boxes on turret sides or back. This almost has to be during the '69 deployment or before summer of '70. These might even be during the "transition" or workup phase. Half of that stuff wouldn't be there beyond that, and the stuff that would be added would exceed what was lost, left off, or torn off. Laughing

#7: Re: M551 Photo (Attention Doug K) Author: JeffStringer PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:46 pm
    ----
PLEASE keep these Sheridan pics flowing, wherever they come from. Very nice!

- Jeff

#8: Re: M551 Photo (Attention Doug K) Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:25 pm
    ----
Jeff, Have you seen what we have in the M551 group on Flickr?

www.flickr.com/groups/m551/

-> AFV News Discussion Board