Panther main gun (KwK42) serial number - urgent question
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Panther main gun (KwK42) serial number - urgent question Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:36 am
    ----
Hello.

Urgent question - I need to know, where the serial number of KwK42 is situated and what is it's format (number of letters, digits).
Can anybody help with this?

Thank you.

#2: Re: Panther main gun (KwK42) serial number - urgent question Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:07 pm
    ----
We have decided that this number is Rxxxx, where x are digits.
Is this correct?

#3: Re: Panther main gun (KwK42) serial number - urgent question Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:25 pm
    ----
The number of the Leopard gun (rheinmetal built) starts also with a R followed by 4 numbers. This Rxxxx number was used in books and documents (shot registration etc)

Is the KwK42 also built by Rheinmetal?

Regards,
Lesley

#4: Re: Panther main gun (KwK42) serial number - urgent question Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:16 pm
    ----
Is the KwK42 also built by Rheinmetal?

Yes as I know.
Does "R" means "Rheinmetall"?

#5: Re: Panther main gun (KwK42) serial number - urgent question Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:46 pm
    ----
That is what the technical troops told me.

Regards,
Lesley

#6: Re: Panther main gun (KwK42) serial number - urgent question Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:39 pm
    ----
I wish I could help on location. I looked thru all my photos of the Panther II main gun. The only shots I have show various stamped numbers on the breech which would not generally be for the gun tube.

Usually the gun tube stampings are located on the gun tube visible if the breech is open. Unfortunately I can't find any shots which show this.

Wish I could be of more assistance.
Regards
Don

#7: Re: Panther main gun (KwK42) serial number - urgent question Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:12 pm
    ----
The only numbers that I have pics of are on the breech of the Littlefield Panther.

"Rxxxx" plus a bunch of other stuff.

-> AFV News Discussion Board