Mercedes-White
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Mercedes-White Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:10 pm
    ----
I am opening a dedicated thread, since this vehicle is quite an enigma.
It's stored outdoor in North Italy:
www.museogottardpark.it/

The current owner knows nothing about its past, the old man is very passionated, but many artifacts have wrong identifications (like a FV432 identified as WW II...).

Massimo

#2: Re: Mercedes-White Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:12 pm
    ----
More details about the pump (or whatever it is):

Massimo

#3: Re: Mercedes-White Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:03 pm
    ----
Pity the data plates are missing, I've tried Googling the name on the pump motor, but I'm not sure what the name is, the closest appears to be "Colk Motor Company", Indianapolis.
I'll cross post onto the HMVF and see if anyone there knows.

#4: Re: Mercedes-White Author: jch_in_uk PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:41 pm
    ----
Judging from the rivets on the tank, it could be a water tank. Despite the colour I wonder if it is designed for firefighting in remote areas?

jch

#5: Re: Mercedes-White Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:21 pm
    ----
Is the thing on the vehicle right a pump or aux motor? Looks almost like a muffler on there.

Main pump seems to be on vehicle left. Tracked vehicle with such a small tank for firefighing? I wonder more about refueling, though the rivets are confusing. I suppose with the right gasketing material.....

#6: Re: Mercedes-White Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:51 am
    ----
Hi,

I'm thinking that's a pump. The large cylinder looks like a filter unit to me, which leads to the question of what was in the tank that needed filtering.

Chuck

#7: Re: Mercedes-White Author: VonForhud PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:49 pm
    ----
Its an old fire engine maybe from an airfield, could also be a refueling truck modified for Russian conditions with the belts.

#8: Re: Mercedes-White Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:15 pm
    ----
At this stage I would love to at least understand if it was converted to "Maultier" in WW II or at a later date. Unfortunately we have no answer even to this fundamental question Sad

Please feel free to post the pictures to other forums, friends or online communities. The more people will look at it the better chance we could figure out something.

Massimo

#9: Re: Mercedes-White Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:50 pm
    ----
I posted on the HMVF forum, hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/sho...post237289
The suggestion is it's an Italian, late 1940s job, auxillary engine by Folkmotor, copied from Condor.

#10: Re: Mercedes-White Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:33 pm
    ----
Excellent! I just found some reference to Folkmotor. Looks like a few engineers left Guidetti (maker of the Condor engine) and launched their own company, called Folkmotor, who did an engine that looks like an evolution of the Condor. I've read the engineers left during WW II, but it's not clear if they started the new company during, or after the war.

Massimo

#11: Re: Mercedes-White Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:43 pm
    ----
Just a quick update, FolkMotor was founded in 1945, just after the war. Here you can find some info (in italian):
www.tractorum.it/forum...dex10.html

Massimo

#12: Re: Mercedes-White Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:33 pm
    ----
I took it in an other direction and started with the truck Mr. Green

Could not find an 100% match, however the trucks that where build at Mercedes late 40´s and early 50´s are the most similar
Especialy the type L 3500

It would also fit the time frame given by the HMVF site

This chassis was very popular for fire trucks, because it was very robust

Michel

#13: Re: Mercedes-White Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:50 pm
    ----
I have been looking at this photo and I have seen this type of manual pump before

It looks very similar to the handpumps used during WW2 (most likely still used today) to transfer fuel from barrels to vehicle´s

So it could have been an army re-fuel vehicle or used on airfields

Michel

#14: Re: Mercedes-White Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:45 am
    ----
I can't see much use for a semi-track on an airfield, especially post-WW2. How about for use in forestry? Perhaps a water or fuel tanker?

-> AFV News Discussion Board