museum update
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: museum update Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:31 am
    ----
Two years ago we announced the formation of a museum group on this forum; we implemented a five year plan to establish a permanent location for a museum to tell the story of Michigan’s contribution to 20th century warfare.
Well, the opportunity to secure a building has presented itself, and we are about to make the move from a “Museum in concept” to an actual brick and mortar with regular bills and all that fun stuff.
Just wanted to update everyone on our progress and ask that you keep us in mind if you are still looking to make a yearend tax deductible donation.
We are also seeking groups to sponsor displays.
Wish us luck!
Visit our website at www.mimths.org

#2: Re: museum update Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:44 am
    ----
Best of luck to you. One can never have too many museums to visit, especially these days!

Keep us posted on progress.

#3: Re: museum update Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:43 pm
    ----
We are hoping to have the building deal locked up on January 18th, look for a major announcment after that. Keep an eye on our website.

I put this out just in case there were any potential year end donors in the wings, since we are only two years into our five year plan, we are going into the building with a 3 year deficit of fundraising in the bank, but to have passed on this opportunity would have been plain silly.
We are 501c3....

The building we are getting is just a few miles down the road from the Warren tank plant.

#4: Re: museum update Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:39 am
    ----
EXTRA! EXTRA! EXTRA! EXTRA! EXTRA!

Our lease agreement with the city of Eastpointe went before council tonight, January 18, 2011 and was unanimously approved!
We are scheduled to meet with the city manager next week to sign all the various documents and finalize some of the detail items, but we are looking at getting the keys and beginning to move in on 1 February.

Two years of dedication and hard work have got us to this point, now comes the real test of our resolve. I am confident that we will succeed.

#5: Re: museum update Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:37 am
    ----
The City of Eastpointe be praised and be thankful you're not dealing with San Francisco.

#6: Re: museum update Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:52 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
The City of Eastpointe be praised and be thankful you're not dealing with San Francisco.

San Francisco? How about all of the Fool's Gold State.

OTOH, January 18 is my birthday so HOT DIGGETY DAMN!!!!!

I hope to make my way up there some decade before I get to old to travel.

#7: Re: museum update Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:50 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

They would never approve of such a violent museum. Sad

#8: Re: museum update Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:46 am
    ----
So far the city has been great. The mayor is overjoyed that "our city is going to have a museum" I am very happy to be here right now.

Obviously, we will have a large display on the Warren Tank plant since it is just a few miles away, and we want to cover the GM Grand Blanc tank plant, as well as the short lived Ford Livonia tank plant (M48A3) And all the rest.

Can I get any tread heads to help sponsor one of the armor stories? each basic display case costs @$200, any and all help is welcomed.
Also seeking photos, stories etc...

visit www.mimths.org

#9: Re: museum update Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:20 am
    ----
Eastpointe, MI - Michigan Military Technical & Historical Society invites you to attend the grand opening of our museum at 16600 Stephens rd. in Eastpointe, MI.
Please join us for our opening ceremony and ribbon cutting on 11-11-11 at 11 am.
Come and see phase I of our display galley highlighting Michigan made military products from 1900-2000, local Civil Defense History and Michigan Military installation histories.
See previews of our Phase II Local Veterans Gallery and Phase III Research Library.

Purpose

The Michigan Military Technical & Historical Society is a group dedicated to chronicling Michigan’s contribution to 20th century conflict, showcasing, wherever possible, the products of Michigan’s people and industry.

-> AFV News Discussion Board