Saumur
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 23, 24, 25  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:54 pm
    ----
The hall with italian AFVs in Saumur is somewhat tricky. Most pictures end up with "chalky" colors. It may be the light, the matte paint or the dust on the tanks, but it's quite a tricky place. I think this time the result was better than what I've got in April:

Massimo

#32: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:58 pm
    ----
Here is the M 15/42. Due to light from the top this tends to get a bit too much shadows at the bottom. I tried some flash for shadows filling, but in the end I still prefer this shot, without flash:

Massimo

#33: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:44 am
    ----
That's a key advantage of a camera with good low light capability (and the main reason I'm planning to change my Panasonic for a good Canon or Nikon as soon as I can).

#34: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: JWB2 PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:57 am
    ----
Massimo you have managed some very high quality photos.

You have also made me envious because Europeans have access to vehicles that I cannot examine in California.

#35: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:33 pm
    ----
- JWB2
You have also made me envious because Europeans have access to vehicles that I cannot examine in California.

Depending on the area where you live some subjects can be "common" or " esotic". I see a lot of swiss stuff, I don't get exited about a Pz 68 since a long time, yet it's an unusual and interesting tank for many of us. At the very same time I never managed to see a M1 Abrams in person.

Massimo

#36: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:48 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
That's a key advantage of a camera with good low light capability (and the main reason I'm planning to change my Panasonic for a good Canon or Nikon as soon as I can).

This time around I used a Canon 7D, last April I still had a 450D. With the 7D I can push to ISO 1600 and even somewhat more, with the previous model ISO 800 was the limit, anything above degraded quality too much. That 1 stop margin can really make the difference between having to use flash or capturing the shot with available light.

Right now Canon's cheaper models,: 60D and 550D have the same sensor as 7D, so they should have very similar low light capabilities.

Fast lenses help too, my 11-16 and 16-60 are both f/2.8, you don't get zooms faster than that. My 24-105 is a bit slower at f/4.0, but it compensate with stabilization. Since we shot static subjects, stabilizated lens can help, you can hand-hold at slower shutter speeds. Fast lenses are heavy and cost more, stabilized lens can achieve good results without breaking the bank.

Of course all of this apply mostly to indoor subjects, outdoor, with good light, even a decent compact camera can achieve great results.

Massimo

PS Mayve I should post this to the "Photography/Camera Discussions & Tips" thread?

#37: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:10 pm
    ----
Maultier:

Massimo

#38: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:11 pm
    ----
You can't go wrong with a Tiger:

Massimo

#39: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:47 pm
    ----
Panzerjager 38(t) 7.62 cm PaK 36(r):

Massimo

#40: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:49 pm
    ----
Marder III M:

Massimo

#41: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:38 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
You can't go wrong with a Tiger:

Massimo

I can't imagine how hard that tank had to hit something to dent the front armor like that. As a former tanker, it makes my teeth hurt just to think about it!

Does anyone know the story behind that ding?

Chuck

#42: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:09 pm
    ----
Some soviet stuff. KV-1:

Massimo

#43: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:10 pm
    ----
T-34/76:

Massimo

#44: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:50 am
    ----
- C_Sherman

I can't imagine how hard that tank had to hit something to dent the front armor like that. As a former tanker, it makes my teeth hurt just to think about it!

Does anyone know the story behind that ding?

Chuck

This is what I have on that Tiger - I assume the dent is battle damage:

Saumur Tiger

#45: Re: Saumur 2010 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:46 am
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
T-34/76:

Massimo

Nice looking T34. One thing I don't like is main gun barrels that are pointed downward. An AFV looks much better when the main gun is level or pointed up just a bit.

Thanks for great photos!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board