More guns than the Ontos...
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: More guns than the Ontos... Author: Smashy PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:42 am
    ----
This sure beats the hell out of the Ontos in the firepower department and it pre-dates it as well. What vehicle and rr are used?

#2: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: pineyLocation: Republic of Southern New Jersey PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 am
    ----
vehicle looks like a British Universal ( IE "Bren Gun") carrier, RRs might be Burney's

#3: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:47 am
    ----
The base vehicle is a T16 Universal Carrier, the American production variant of the British Universal Carrier.

Where did you find the picture? Caption? Time frame?

#4: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:11 pm
    ----
THATS COOL!!!

AH, but doesn't out gun the Ontos. It seems to be equal. I count 6 actual RR's.

Predates the Ontos perhaps. Would love to know WHAT, WHEN, & WHERE....

Regards
Don

#5: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:06 pm
    ----
- Hanno_Spoelstra
The base vehicle is a T16 Universal Carrier, the American production variant of the British Universal Carrier.

Where did you find the picture? Caption? Time frame?

Hi,

Watermark on the pic indicates it has something to do with the Argentinian Army. Maybe a local variant?

C

#6: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:36 pm
    ----
Gun appears to be the same as on this vehicle (also in Argentina). They have a T19 tucked back here as well, but with no gun.

#7: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:13 pm
    ----
Not quite as well tooled-up, but the target's interesting!

Fort Benning, 1950.
Doug's pictures look like a Model 1968 105mm, so too late a weapon?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...illess_Gun
I've found a reference for the Dutch mounting 106mm Recoilless Guns on a Universal carrier.

#8: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:24 pm
    ----
Is that a panther in the LIFE picture?

#9: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:42 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
I've found a reference for the Dutch mounting 106mm Recoilless Guns on a Universal carrier.

Interesting, can you tell us more?

#10: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:14 pm
    ----
Not a lot Hanno, a mention from a book revue.
www.perthmilitarymodel...onv110.htm

#11: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:08 am
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e

Thanks for the lead, will see if I can dig up more.

#12: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:38 pm
    ----
Hi Folks!

- bsmart
Is that a panther in the LIFE picture?

To this old Scouts' eyes, I would report I am under attack by a PANTHER tank! Panther at Ft B during 1950? I wonder where the remains are?

Sgt, Scouts out!

#13: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:48 pm
    ----
I'd say that aged as the Scout may be, his eyesight is 20:20!

#14: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:25 pm
    ----
- Hanno_Spoelstra
- Pzkpfw-e

Thanks for the lead, will see if I can dig up more.

It took some time to find a copy of the Osprey book about the Carrier, perhaps I should find a better location to store it Mr. Green

However the info Perth is giving is not correct

The only thing I could find was a picture's of a vehicle of the Danish army that possible was fitted with a 106mm RR-AT
However it also telling that it could be a dummy barrel and that the vehicle was used training exercises (perhaps OPFOR vehicle Confused )

Michel

#15: Re: More guns than the Ontos... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:19 am
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
I'd say that aged as the Scout may be, his eyesight is 20:20!

We prefer to think of it as the "youth challenged". TY very much. Wink

-> AFV News Discussion Board