New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:41 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

This is one of the Post's CSGM's gate guards. The serial number is not very clear.
Below the bow machine gun: S1??62
Right front tow lug: 756?
Right Rear tow lug: 1?(6 or 8)2

Does this mean this vehicle made it over to the ETO?

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

#2: Re: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:09 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

You mean because of the "battle damage"? If it was used and hit in action, it would have been repaired. This look more like range damage to me. . .

Thanks for sharing the pics of this rare beast.

#3: Re: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:35 pm
    ----
so, if I understand correctly, there are two different M26 Pershings at Fort Bliss for the moment, right?

P-O

#4: Re: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:58 pm
    ----
I think Roy may be referring to the 'cocks comb' welded to the front. I would say this means it was shipped somewhere.

#5: Re: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:27 pm
    ----
Hi P-O! Hi Folks!

- the_shadock

so, if I understand correctly, there are two different M26 Pershings at Fort Bliss for the moment, right?
P-O

That is correct sir! One at the 1st AD museum and one Post CSM gate guard.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:30 pm
    ----
Hi Hanno! Hi Folks!

- Hanno_Spoelstra

- Roy_A_Lingle

You mean because of the "battle damage"? If it was used and hit in action, it would have been repaired. This look more like range damage to me. . .

Mark is correct, sorry I wasn't clear but I am talking about the comb which if I remember right only showed up on AFVs shipped to the Med and the ETO.

Sgt, Scouts Out!

#7: Re: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:03 pm
    ----
thanks Roy.

#8: Re: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:33 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle
Mark is correct, sorry I wasn't clear but I am talking about the comb which if I remember right only showed up on AFVs shipped to the Med and the ETO.

Ah yes! web.inter.nl.net/users...4/comb.htm

Is definitely a pointer, but no proof. . .

#9: Re: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:28 am
    ----
Roy

I sorta recognize the background, is that near the Post HQ buildings where the 'Twins Sisters' used to be located?

Regards
Don

#10: Re: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:41 am
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

I sorta recognize the background, is that near the Post HQ buildings where the 'Twins Sisters' used to be located?
Don

Twin Sisters?
Would that be the two air defenders manning a Redeye launcher? If Twin Sisters is what I think you are talking about, it has moved to Ft Still.

If so the tank is right acossed the road from that point which now has a 1st Cav Div, 4th BCT marker for those lost during that's unit's one and only rotation from here. It is on the west side of a round field of grass that surrounds the base flag pole. To the east of it is the main base chapel and the old main post theater. Post HQs is to the north a little bit.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#11: Re: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:53 am
    ----
The 'Twin Sisters' were the two cannons that flanked the entrance to Post HQ. Supposedly they were captured from The Mexican Army following The Battle of San Jacinto.

The oriental garden in the back ground brought back some memories. I figured it was in the basic gate entry area by the Old Officers Club.

It sounds like we are talking about the same area.

BTW: Did you know Omar Bradley 'laid in state' in the old post chapel following his death in the early 80's.

Regards
Don

#12: Re: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:14 am
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

The 'Twin Sisters' were the two cannons that flanked the entrance to Post HQ. Supposedly they were captured from The Mexican Army following The Battle of San Jacinto.

I will have to make a point to go look and see if they are still there.

- Dontos

The oriental garden in the back ground brought back some memories. I figured it was in the basic gate entry area by the Old Officers Club.

That's it. The Pershing gate is the gate in the old officer's quarters area that is just south of the Officers Club.
- Dontos

BTW: Did you know Omar Bradley 'laid in state' in the old post chapel following his death in the early 80's.

No, but then I left during the summer of 1979. During my time with the 3rd ACR one of details we had was an honor guard team ready 24/7. The quarters he lived in has been torn down along with almost all of the old WW II wooden buildings. The Army had to get rid of the WW II buildings because of a Texas Historial building law. Once a building reachs the age in that law, it takes a act of God to do any thing at all too them.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts out!

#13: Re: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:54 pm
    ----
Roy,
Can you provide any cross-streets for this one?

Thanks,

Neil

#14: Re: New at Ft Bliss, Gate Guard M26 Pershing Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:19 pm
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

Can you provide any cross-streets for this one?

It is parked on the North East corner of Pershing and Sheridan streets.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board