New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:03 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

This halftrack along with a couple of others has been here for a while. It was in the wearhouse along with all the other junk. This one is in bad shape and they are hoping someone will see it and step up and offer to clear it up. I think it is a M2, haven't taken the time to look it up.

The reg number on the right side of the hood is 6029574 for what good that may do. No chance of finding the serial number on the top of the front bumper. That roller is not mounted per the manual. It's a jury rigged bracket welded to the bumper and the arms of the roller. That armored gun mount doesn't look right. It is also welded to the top of the vehicle. The Skate ring is still mounted around the inside.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:16 am
    ----
Rear "stepped" fender I think means M2 v. M3, FWIW. Don't know about that over-cab gun mount, but it looks "funny".

#3: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:36 am
    ----
Hi Doug! Hi Folks!

When I look at a halftrack very closely, there are very few parts that have welding on them. If one has a big screw driver you can almost take the vehicle apart.

Sadly, the folks in Germany used a cutting torch on a couple of halftracks and a Dodge command car.

My 2 cents and a Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#4: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:02 am
    ----
Any sign of a T19 Half-Track HMC?
www.baumholder.army.mi...eum/15.htm

We're still waiting on the following from Baumholder (including the T19) to show up I think:

2S3
www.baumholder.army.mi...eum/01.htm

BMP-1
www.baumholder.army.mi...eum/03.htm

2 other M4A1(76) Shermans (including one runner - SN 52002)
www.baumholder.army.mi...eum/12.htm

Another M7B2 Priest

M74

M75
www.primeportal.net/ap...k/m75_apc/

M113s
www.baumholder.army.mi...eum/09.htm

T-62
www.baumholder.army.mi...eum/17.htm

Type 59
www.baumholder.army.mi...eum/16.htm

Neil

#5: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:09 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

- Neil_Baumgardner

Any sign of a T19 Half-Track HMC?

I have only been in the two wearhouses once and there is a large pile of halftrack parts. The staff thinks there are two or maybe three halftracks in that pile that where taken apart with a cutting touch to get them out of a building. I haven't seen anything that looks like the 75mm cannon or base/ammo box from one. For now I would say it wasn't shipped here. Someone else may have received it. I have been watching for it.

- Neil_Baumgardner

We're still waiting on the following from Baumholder (including the T19) to show up I think:.....
2S3, BMP-1, 2 other M4A1(76) Shermans (including one runner - SN 52002), Another M7B2 Priest, M74, M75, M113s, T-62, Type 59

The M74 VTR is here, I guess that one got lost in the updates because I cannot find an old post for it.

There are two M4A1 76s here, one with VVSS and one with HVSS. Will have to check my notes for a serial number. The HVSS is not a running, can see into the back of the engine compartment, hoses are cut off and things have been removed from the engine. The VVSS, I would be surpised if it had been a runner. The documention for the HVSS vehicle listed it as a M4A3 76 HVSS and it has markings for Thunderbolt VI or VII on it.
There is a M113A2, but it was picked up from WSMR.

As for all the other ones, they have not showed up and nothing is expected.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scoutsout!

#6: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:06 am
    ----
Hi Neil! Hi Folks!

I have went back and reviewed my photo of the M4A1 76 VVSS that is here. It not the same vehicle in that Baumholder photo. The vehicle here has reg. numbers on both side and the sprocket plates are different.

Did Baumholder have four M4A1 76s?

During my four years with the 3rd ID in Germany is seamed like ever tank battalion had a M4A1 HVSS along with many of the post headquarters.

My guess is that most of them, if not all of them came from the French after they started getting M47s and later the AMX-30.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

Last edited by Roy_A_Lingle on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total

#7: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:12 pm
    ----
THe M4A1(76) HVSS that has the Thunderbolt VI or VII.....

I'm wondering if it is the one that used to be at Vilseck and then prior to that was at Ferris Barracks in Erlangen...

I've got a bunch of photos of it (if the same one) and a few with 'Abe' back in 1973.

Got any recent photos ?

Regards
Don

#8: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:10 am
    ----
- Dontos
THe M4A1(76) HVSS that has the Thunderbolt VI or VII.....

I'm wondering if it is the one that used to be at Vilseck and then prior to that was at Ferris Barracks in Erlangen...

I've got a bunch of photos of it (if the same one) and a few with 'Abe' back in 1973.

Got any recent photos ?

Regards
Don

Don, if you could post your photo's of Thunderbolt it would certainly help my confusion!

#9: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:19 am
    ----
Trevor

I think I have them in my photobucket somewhere.

I'll try to locate them when I have a little more time.

Regards
Don

#10: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:01 pm
    ----
Trevor

Here is two photos of the M4A1 that was at Ferris Barracks and I believe it was later at Vilseck along with Cobra King

Regards
Don

#11: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:43 pm
    ----
Thanks, Don - those pictures are a very good much with the tank in the Vilseck picture (and equally different from Roy's one). Were they taken at Ferris or Vilseck, and do you have dates for them?

#12: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: panamadan PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:15 pm
    ----
I was at Ferris in the '80's-I remember it being a VVSS, but that was many years ago. It was orginally was in front of my BN; 1-35AR, but was taken by BDE and moved to the front of their building.
When I was a new guy they drug it into the maint. bays and tried to get it to run to celebrate the forming of the BN, but I think they never got the hang of a radial engine!
Dan

#13: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: panamadan PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:17 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Rear "stepped" fender I think means M2 v. M3, FWIW. Don't know about that over-cab gun mount, but it looks "funny".

The photo is too dark for me to see, but if there is a side "door" behind the crew doors, then it's a M2.

Dan

#14: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: panamadan PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:22 pm
    ----
Here is the Sherman in 1988- www.nbg-mil-com.de/Fer...s-8807.jpg

Dan

#15: Re: New at Ft.Bliss Museum, M2 Halftrack Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:14 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
Thanks, Don - those pictures are a very good much with the tank in the Vilseck picture (and equally different from Roy's one). Were they taken at Ferris or Vilseck, and do you have dates for them?

Never mind - I can see the date and location are in the filename.

- panamadan
Here is the Sherman in 1988- www.nbg-mil-com.de/Fer...s-8807.jpg

Dan

Panamadan, that looks like the M4A3E2 'Cobra King' that was also at Ferris (and VVSS as you say). Can I use that photo on PreservedTanks.com, or do you have any others that I could use?

-> AFV News Discussion Board