Sherman Contruction change
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Sherman Contruction change Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:09 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I am working on somthing, a bit like a family tree, for the M4 medium tank family of vehicles and have not been able to pin down the point and versions effected by a change in a contruction method.

If I have this right, all versions (except the M4A6) started out using the lower hull pan of the M3 medium which used rivets for the assemble of the side panels to the bottom panel.

I am trying to nail down when the change was made from rivets to welding.
I have been back and forth through my Hunnicutt Sherman book and either he does list this change or I am missing it.

Help please! I am slowing going Sherman crazy!!!!!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#2: Re: Sherman Contruction change Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:11 am
    ----
No Roy, only Pressed Steel Car used riveted lower hull construction. All the other factories used welded hulls. Lima used rivets to attach idler brackets at first, but changed to bolts at some point.

The change to welded hulls at PSC came sometime after the change to indirect vision devices for the drivers.

KL

#3: Re: Sherman Contruction change Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:30 am
    ----
Hi Kurt! Hi Folks!

Super Thanks!

Sgt, Scouts out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board