Designation?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Designation? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:31 pm
    ----
What would this be designated as?

www.flickr.com/photos/...401474995/

#2: Re: Designation? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:33 pm
    ----
I think it's a Stuart V Recce, which is the British designation.

Wikipedia says :
"Stuart Recce : Reconnaissance vehicle based on turretless Stuart."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_Stuart#UK_variants

P-O

#3: Re: Designation? Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:13 pm
    ----
because of the raised engine cover, would this not be an M5 based vehicle making this a Stuart VI Recce Confused

I try to improve my knowledge about the US light tanks, so correct me if I'm wrong Mr. Green

Michel

#4: Re: Designation? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:30 pm
    ----
I'd never seen one before Sad

#5: Re: Designation? Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:35 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

The M3A3 was a Stuart V, hull looks some what like a M5 from the front.

The M5 & M5A1 was a Stuart VI

"because of the raised engine cover," Michel nail it!

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#6: Re: Designation? Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:39 am
    ----
It's based on an M5A1 tank and in American markings, so it wouldn't be a "Stuart" at all! Smile

This looks to be a mock-up of a prototype US recon vehicle that was never fielded. The T-number escapes me.

KL

#7: Re: Designation? Author: Vivman PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:30 am
    ----
A Full Tracked Reconnaissance Vehicle, T8E1, perhaps?

#8: Re: Designation? Author: tankbarrell PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:41 am
    ----
It is nothing as elaborate! It was a British Army Stuart VI converted post war in to a 17 pdr gun tower. I put a new roof in for the previous owner and the vehicle restoration was completed by the current owner, in the drivers seat in the picture, as a recce vehicle but not based on anything in particular.

#9: Re: Designation? Author: Vivman PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:15 am
    ----
- tankbarrell
It is nothing as elaborate! It was a British Army Stuart VI converted post war in to a 17 pdr gun tower. I put a new roof in for the previous owner and the vehicle restoration was completed by the current owner, in the drivers seat in the picture, as a recce vehicle but not based on anything in particular.

serendipitously, I think you made a T8E1. Smile

#10: Re: Designation? Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:40 am
    ----
It is nothing more and nothing less than a turretless M5A1 Light Tank.

See www.mapleleafup.org/fo...php?t=1470 for some pictures of a Stuart VI Recce

And see replay.waybackmachine....recce.html for a surviving example

-> AFV News Discussion Board