Fort Lee
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort Lee Author: quentinmccartLocation: Tennessee PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:38 pm
    ----
Arrived at Fort Lee for a Course and wow they have really brought the armor in and did a nice job with the new Ordnance Campus and added some armor there too! Looks like they are just collecting armor and artillery on railroad street now, but they all looks good...

They have a new roundabout with some statics also...
Q

#2: Re: Fort Lee Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:05 am
    ----
- quentinmccart
Arrived at Fort Lee for a Course and wow they have really brought the armor in

Hello,

is the armor stored indoors or outdoors?

- quentinmccart
and did a nice job with the new Ordnance Campus and added some armor there too! Looks like they are just collecting armor and artillery on railroad street now, but they all looks good...

They have a new roundabout with some statics also...
Q

do you have some pics, pelase?

Pierre-Olivier

#3: Re: Fort Lee Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:04 pm
    ----
Yes, some new pics please!

FYI, the Ordnance Museum storage is at Railroad Ave.

Neil

#4: Re: Fort Lee Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:50 pm
    ----
I predict they will sit outside long enough for them to return to their former condition before they were repainted. Why can't the United States have a nice armor museum like several other countries? I hope I am wrong.

#5: Re: Fort Lee Author: quentinmccartLocation: Tennessee PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:58 am
    ----
After my run today I walked over to take a closer look, they have them "kind of" covered with tarps...but they look nice...I will bring my camera tomorrow and after Medical I will walk over there...I will go to the Ordnance School house too and grab a picture of the Bradley and M4 (recovery type). They are putting up new statics as they finish the Ordnance School too...not sure if there will be AFVs but I noticed tonight they had some Field Pcs sitting in from of A Co and B Co of the Ordnance Battalion...(AIT Barracks).

And yes, sorry Railroad is being used as an "outdoor" storage...Anzio Annie is right next to the AFVs too...there is not a lot of AFVs there (and AT/FA guns), at this point it seems they could almost maintain two different locations. They seemed to grab the newly painted or "special" peices...but I haven't been to Aberdeen since 2008. Regarding the "outdoor" storage, the real downside to it seems to be it is next to a bunch of trees and if they stay there for some time that could be an issue. You know how Viriginia trees can destroy a vehicle.

Not sure if you have pictures of the statics at Fort Pickett either but I can grab those too this weekend if people are interested...

Vr

Q

#6: Re: Fort Lee Author: quentinmccartLocation: Tennessee PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:17 am
    ----
Not sure how else to share pictures, but I took these with my Cell Phone, I will take more like I said tomorrow...hopefully this works as a link for people to see...if not let me know...

www.flickr.com/photos/59132711@N08/

#7: Re: Fort Lee Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:21 am
    ----
Thanks for posting

#8: Re: Fort Lee Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:29 am
    ----
That works for me - looks like Railroad Ave. Look forward to more - many thanks!

#9: Re: Fort Lee Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:32 am
    ----
BTW, I have pictures from Fort Pickett - that being said it is the only place I have actually been pulled over at for taking pictures. Apparently you need the base commander's permission (the historical office didnt know that).

smg.photobucket.com/al...20Pickett/

So dont get yourself in any trouble at Pickett!

Neil

#10: Re: Fort Lee Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:02 pm
    ----
I say contract the museum operation out to Jacques Littlefield's crew Smile

#11: Re: Fort Lee Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:28 pm
    ----
Give them to the Russians, Brits or the French, they seem to be able to run a nice museum and with the money saved they could buy us all planes tickets to visit. Jacques crew would also be good........The US Army can't handle the job as they have proved in the past.

#12: Re: Fort Lee Author: quentinmccartLocation: Tennessee PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:49 am
    ----
I got some pictures today, I will get them up tomorrow...when I was out there though a group was looking at the vehicles and talking about moving some of them (the smaller ones are the only ones OD Sgt said he could move, the bigger ones he said would require additional support). They weren't sure where they were moving them to, but they were asked to come look at the vehicles to see which ones they could move...

Regarding getting stopped for pictures...I get that sometimes, but it seems they would want you to take pictures of statics/memorials...taking pictures in uniform usually makes it a non-issue...

Q

#13: Re: Fort Lee Author: quentinmccartLocation: Tennessee PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:09 am
    ----
Sorry for the delay, I really don't know what kind of pictures you guys are looking for...but here is what I have...I just got my Household Goods so it has been crazy unpacking...like I said though they are going to start moving some of the smaller stuff...so I will keep an eye out...that roundabout is "Ordnance Circle" with the bradley...

Q

www.flickr.com/photos/46386347@N06/

#14: Re: Fort Lee Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:49 am
    ----
Great pictures Quentin - can I use them on PreservedTanks.com when I get to write up the move from APG to Lee?

#15: Re: Fort Lee Author: quentinmccartLocation: Tennessee PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:42 pm
    ----
Please do...I took them for the forums to see so...feel free to use them...

Q

-> AFV News Discussion Board