Some more Ford Lynx in Vietnam questions....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Some more Ford Lynx in Vietnam questions.... Author: Blackjack PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:25 pm
    ----
I ask because I know little about the specifics regarding the Vietnam conflict, so I hope you can bear with me. From what I've been able to piece together, a number of Daimler Scout Cars and Ford Lynx were bought by the South Vietnamese government to equip ARVN forces, these had the Malaysian turret that rested over the enclosed superstructure on the respective vehicles open compartment. The artwork shows a Ford Lynx mistakenly IDed as a Dingo with the 4th Cavalry Regiment insignia, with a tan finish which I find an odd choice over the usual green finishes of US vehicles. The picture used for the artwork is cropped, not showing the possible turret fitted, this is seen in the other pic.
Also, does anyone know if the vehicle, if used by the 4th Cavalry Regiment could have seen service in Saigon in 1968 during the Tet Offensive? I was going to finish it as an ARVN vehicle, but if I could finish it as a US one, I'd do it with some ARVN troops next to it.

Thanks in advance for any help. Regards, MK

#2: Re: Some more Ford Lynx in Vietnam questions.... Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:38 am
    ----
Hi Blackjack! Hi Folks!

AFAIK, the 4th Cavalry Regiment that had these vehicle was ARVN, not US Army.

ARVN Armored Forces tried a number of different vehicles with different set ups. Note in the lower left photo, the M113 behind the armored car. It is fitted with a 37mm cannon and turret from a M8 Greyhound Armored Car.

Try searching the internet for ARVN Armored Forces or AFVs. I remember seeing a few. Maybe they might have some history about those armored cars you are looking for.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#3: Re: Some more Ford Lynx in Vietnam questions.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:25 am
    ----
Like Roy, I have grave reservations that any active U.S. units operated this vehicle. That is not to say that perhaps they did not assist in the modification of such vehicles for ARVN service.

I am aware of a 3rd, 4th, and 5th armored cavalry regiments (ARVN) that has various equipment over the years (M113's, M41's, and lastly M48A3's)
Who might have had the lynx to operate a combat vehicles is before my time and beyond my knowledge base.

I'd be very careful about building one as "operated by U.S. troops", however. Not saying for sure that it was ever done, but haven't see the evidence of it.

#4: Re: Some more Ford Lynx in Vietnam questions.... Author: Blackjack PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:04 pm
    ----
Thanks for your answers and I agree with the information but two things continue to throw me off:

1) the tan like finish (although a to be restored vehicle in Australia has a similar finish which may explain why the artwork is the color it is)
2) The insignia on the hull side (confirmed by the PIC) looks like the 4th Cavalry insignia according to other examples of their insignia I've seen on the net via Google. If it were just on the artwork and no pic I'd just limit it to the artist not doing a thorough job.

Suppose I'll finish my kit as an ARVN machine in a greenish finish witht he usual generic stars and the like, with Malaysian turret added as that's where these vehicles came from.

#5: Re: Some more Ford Lynx in Vietnam questions.... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:33 am
    ----
Hi,

Is it possible that the picture is of a 'trophy' or parade vehicle acquired by the 4th Cav while in Vietnam? Somehow this has the look of a display/parade vehicle, with the Regimental patch on the side and the funny color. Perhaps it was picked up from an ARVN unit as a friendship gift or after being retired from their service?

I'm pretty sure there would have been no reason for the US unit to use this vehicle type.

Chuck

#6: Re: Some more Ford Lynx in Vietnam questions.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:05 am
    ----
- C_Sherman
Hi,

Is it possible that the picture is of a 'trophy' or parade vehicle acquired by the 4th Cav while in Vietnam? Somehow this has the look of a display/parade vehicle, with the Regimental patch on the side and the funny color. Perhaps it was picked up from an ARVN unit as a friendship gift or after being retired from their service?

I'm pretty sure there would have been no reason for the US unit to use this vehicle type.

Chuck

Entirely possible. As Roy well knows, there was a well-known M8 GMC that was "modified" to resemble an M5 Stuart and transferred to the 11th ACR by the ARVN late in the war. I wonder if this is a similar example of such an exchange. There is no mission the lynx would have performed for the U.S. forces that wouldn't have been done by an M113, or even more likely, a V100 Commando. Depends on the year, I suppose.

#7: Re: Some more Ford Lynx in Vietnam questions.... Author: hmills16 PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:06 am
    ----
The Lynx II pictured in 4th Cav markings was actually a gate guard/tropy vehicle used by the Squadron at Di An, where the Squadron had it's rear area. It was there when I arrived in 68 and was sitting in front of LTC Bill Haponski's HQ. It was tan with 4th cav markings. It ran and tooled around Di An on occasion. The top was modified by the previous ARVN operators. The top was solid with a small circualr hatch and a pintle mount for a M1918 cal 30 MG. The Lynx II had a rear mounted tranny that ran off the engine and was a bit longer than a DIngo which was a similar vehicle. I drove this vehicle in the motor pool in Feb or 69.
1/4 Cav was the divisional cavalry squadron of the First Infantry Division in VIetnam from 1965 to 1972. Three armored troops and one air troop. The armor troops were M-113 ACAV, M-48 tanks, M0106 mortors and various support types to include Zippos and M-88's.
Hugh Mills
D troop 1/4 cav 1969

#8: Re: Some more Ford Lynx in Vietnam questions.... Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:19 am
    ----
Hugh, good to see you have a little down time from chasing bad guys.

Gary O.

#9: Re: Some more Ford Lynx in Vietnam questions.... Author: hmills16 PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:08 pm
    ----
The reconnaissainse troops of the ARVN army utilized Lynx II and GM C15TA Armored Cars in the early 60s. When the M-114 (which proved a mobility failure) and M113 were introduced as well as the M-24 and M-41 light tanks, the Armored cars were parked. I never saw the M-113 with the M-8 turret either.
I am told the engine on the 1/4 cav Lynx was not stock but rather was a truck engine. I don't remember looking at the engine but the vehicle was pretty agile as I recall. I am not conversant on the Dingo but suspect it is pretty close to a Lynx except the rear end. I have never seen a Lynx model.
Hugh Mills

#10: Re: Some more Ford Lynx in Vietnam questions.... Author: hmills16 PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:09 pm
    ----
The reconnaissainse troops of the ARVN army utilized Lynx II and GM C15TA Armored Cars in the early 60s. When the M-114 (which proved a mobility failure) and M113 were introduced as well as the M-24 and M-41 light tanks, the Armored cars were parked. I never saw the M-113 with the M-8 turret either.
I am told the engine on the 1/4 cav Lynx was not stock but rather was a truck engine. I don't remember looking at the engine but the vehicle was pretty agile as I recall. I am not conversant on the Dingo but suspect it is pretty close to a Lynx except the rear end. I have never seen a Lynx model.
Hugh Mills

#11: Re: Some more Ford Lynx in Vietnam questions.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:28 am
    ----
- hmills16

Hugh Mills
D troop 1/4 cav 1969

Greetings and Welcome to the AFV Discussion Group.

Doug

#12: Re: Some more Ford Lynx in Vietnam questions.... Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:25 am
    ----
For those not aware of who Hugh is and knowing he is not one to blow his own horn, besides being one hell of a pilot and an armor officer to boot, here's a little back ground on him:

www.wichitacrimecommis...rdsDinner/

www.google.com/#hl=en&...28acec568d

Sorry Hugh, just wanted people to know the caliber of people who chime in here.

-> AFV News Discussion Board