M4A1E9 restored back to M4A1 at Overloon
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M4A1E9 restored back to M4A1 at Overloon Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:29 pm
    ----
Hello,

this was already discussed before. A Sherman M4A1E9 was recovered from a fire range and is being restored, in order to become a monument at Overloon.

However, following the restoration on this website :
http://www.shermantankoverloon.nl/

I've seen that the restoration team wants to restore the tank back to the normal configuration (without the E9 fittings).

As the webaster says :
"The tank is a Sherman type M4A1-E9. However, this configuration/version never appeared in Overloon in 1944. After much debating and reflecting we decided to eliminate these expansions/wideners to obtain the right configuration as used in Overloon in Autumn 1944."

I think that it is unbelievable today to see what is being done in order to have the correct model of tank being displayed at the right place. This would not have happened few years ago...

Pierre-Olivier

#2: Re: M4A1E9 restored back to M4A1 at Overloon Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:14 pm
    ----
Makes you wonder why make all that effort to make it appear as a Sherman that fought at Overloon when a Sherman that really did fight at Overloon was given/sold/traded to Italy as a war memorial a year or so ago when they could have sent this one!

Tim,

#3: Re: M4A1E9 restored back to M4A1 at Overloon Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:00 am
    ----
- TimRoyall
Makes you wonder why make all that effort to make it appear as a Sherman that fought at Overloon when a Sherman that really did fight at Overloon was given/sold/traded to Italy as a war memorial a year or so ago when they could have sent this one!

Don't get me started! The group currently restoring the M4A1E9 were "not amused" either when Cookie went abroad. That is why they are working so hard to commemorate the role of the US 7th Armoured Division.

-> AFV News Discussion Board