Annoucement for Tank-net registrants....
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Annoucement for Tank-net registrants.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:39 pm
    ----
Due to the untimely death of an administrator at Tank-Net and a balky registration company, the domain name for Tank-Net.org will be changing shortly. In the meantime, below is a link that will allow access to the forums without the domain name link and a place to make contact for future registration, should that be necessary. This is most regrettable, but as we at AFV News DG did this successfully a few years ago, we hope not to lose participants at Tank-Net who "can't find their way home".

The administrator with the keys, Geoff Winnington Ball, passed away a couple of months ago but there is a new driver at the helm so a smooth transition is to be hoped for. Geoff was also the founder of the "Maple Leaf Up" forum, which I believe is being administered by Hanno Spoelstra currently and seems not to be affected by the domain issue.

I'll be keeping this announcement at the top for a while so members there will be able to find the new site.

For the time being, you can begin using this link without domain linkage. This will be updated shortly as the current domain is living on borrowed time. Operation is expected to be continuous, however.

208.84.116.223/forums/

The new domain name, when it becomes effective will be:

www.Tank-net.com

...notice, not the former "dot org"

#2: Re: Annoucement for Tank-net registrants.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:33 am
    ----
OK, I closed everything and entered the new domain name for Tank-net in the browser window...

www.tank-net.com

...and it works. Go ahead and make that, or the forums that it leads you to as your default login site. Notice that "tank-net.org" may continue to work for a while, but it's good to change that habit NOW. No additional registration appears to be necessary, which is a big plus...you'll already be "home".

Kudos to Andrew for his untiring efforts to make this as smooth a transition as possible in difficult (and tragic) circumstances. We know the pain of doing this all too well as it was 2004 or 2005 when we did it here, so let's support their efforts any way we can. We believe we have a system in place now with a line of succession such that it will never come up again there.

Any questions, feel free to contact any of us.

#3: Re: Annoucement for Tank-net registrants.... Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:12 am
    ----
HI,

I can't get past the home/splash page. It gives me an alternate URL that won't load.

And, since I don't recall my Tank-Net login, I can't just sign in. I'll need to re-register.

Chuck

#4: Re: Annoucement for Tank-net registrants.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:12 am
    ----
- C_Sherman
HI,

I can't get past the home/splash page. It gives me an alternate URL that won't load.

And, since I don't recall my Tank-Net login, I can't just sign in. I'll need to re-register.

Chuck

Chuck, and others...

Try this for direct forum link:

208.84.116.223/forums/...hp?act=idx

If you have any registration issues, PM me here, or send me an email. I can't help if you've lost your login name or password, however, but we can always arrange a re-registration.

#5: Re: Annoucement for Tank-net registrants.... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:57 pm
    ----
*Bump*

#6: Re: Annoucement for Tank-net registrants.... Author: Hanno_Spoelstra PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:18 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Geoff was also the founder of the "Maple Leaf Up" forum, which I believe is being administered by Hanno Spoelstra currently and seems not to be affected by the domain issue.

All MLU forums are now closed down pending the move to the new URL:

www.mapleleafup.net/forums

We plan to move MLU over Thursday night, on Friday the move should be completed. Please pass the new URL on to all concerned.

Thanks!
Hanno

-> AFV News Discussion Board