Don F Pratt Museum - Fort Campbell - Artillery ID Help
-> Artillery Forum

#1: Don F Pratt Museum - Fort Campbell - Artillery ID Help Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:40 pm
    ----
Hi Artillery guys!

I’ve posted a bunch of photos from the Don F Pratt Museum on Fort Campbell KY/TN.

afvagabond.smugmug.com...3584_HRVtc

The museum had a good amount of artillery displayed and I could use some help IDing a few things.

Not sure what this is:

It looks like a ZSU4 on a ZSU2 chassis.

Also I’m not sure what this is:

If I have misidentified anything, please let me know!
As always your help is much appreciated!

Cheers!

#2: Re: Don F Pratt Museum - Fort Campbell - Artillery ID Help Author: armyjunk2 PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:26 am
    ----
Russian 122mm D30 I believe

#3: Re: Don F Pratt Museum - Fort Campbell - Artillery ID Help Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:17 am
    ----
Hi,

The quad AA gun is definitely a quad mount for 14.5mm KPV guns, but all of the references say that it comes on a four-wheel chassis (ZPU-4) instead of two. On the other hand, I've photographed at least one other (at Camp Murray, WA) of this two-wheeled mount, and I'm sure I've seen others.

Though it was clearly a captured Iraqi piece, my pics give no indication of the origin with either Cyrillic or Chinese instruments or data plates. I'm leaning towards Chinese, simply because I can't find any reference to a standard model of the Russian ZPU configured like this.

A closer look at the pics shows that the two-wheel mount is somewhat different than the four-wheel. The guns are mounted more closely to the centerline, and the ammo boxes mount & feed from the front instead of the sides. The arrangement is closer to the ZPU2, but with two additional guns stacked on top. However, the trailer is arranged differently from the ZPU2s I could find online.

I'm really interested in finding out what this actually is!

Chuck

#4: Re: Don F Pratt Museum - Fort Campbell - Artillery ID Help Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:04 am
    ----
Thanks AJ2!

Chuck - Yeah I was stumped too! Everything I could find had the ZPU4 on a 4 wheel chassis and I couldn't find anything that really matched. I looked on the sinodefense site and didn't see a match. Also the photos I have from the Beijing Military Museum show the Chinese version on a 4 wheel chassis.

It does look a LOT like those drones from Star Wars episode 1 though. LOL!

#5: Re: Don F Pratt Museum - Fort Campbell - Artillery ID Help Author: JiriTinteraLocation: Prague, Czech Republic PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:37 am
    ----
Dear Colleague Vagabond,
pity you did not issue the detailed coverage tables with text.

Surely this is not a factory product of Soviet, Chinese or North Korean origin. I suppose it is the Iraqi production. Construction weapons is an interesting attempt to minimize size - see fixation in a row (no parallel) boxes for ammunition, and turning them 90 degrees.

I'm sorry, but I do not understand English. For the electronic translation using Google.

#6: Re: Don F Pratt Museum - Fort Campbell - Artillery ID Help Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:30 am
    ----
JiriTintera
Oops! Byl jsem v takovém sp?chu, že jsem ani nevid?l informací na zbran?. D?kujeme vám za vaši pomoc,

I hope that translated well - my apologies if Google messed up!

I was in such a hurry that I didn't even see the information plaque on the guns. Sure wish I had noticed it! Oops!!

-> Artillery Forum