Preserved Tanks in Britain
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:32 pm
    ----
Yesterday I took the family along when I went 'tank paintballing' (a late birthday present from my wife). It was a lot of fun, driving, gunning and having a 'battle' in FV432/30s at Armourgeddon. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that they are building up a small tank museum. They currently have a Sherman 105 from the Netherlands, plus a Sexton, HST, T-54 and Abbot, as well as various wheeled and half-tracked vehicles (M8 armoured car, M16 half-track, Humber Pig, Ferret, etc.).

I'll post full details here once I've worked through all the photographs I took. In the meantime my thanks go to Iain, Wayne, Craig and the other members of staff for their excellent hosting, and for giving me special access to their vehicle collection.

Last edited by TrevorLarkum on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

#32: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TichenorLocation: Antwerp PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:13 pm
    ----
Trevor

Some colleagues of mine visited the artillery school at Larkhill.
This is what they found on display:

AS90

Tracked Rapier

M110A2

Abbott

Original pictures are here.
Pictures by Leo Regemoortels, they may be used under the usual conditions.

Michel

#33: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:20 am
    ----
I'm looking for FV214 Conqueror heavy tank from Larkhill - maybe have somebody a photo of it?

#34: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TimRoyallLocation: Holland PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:11 am
    ----
There's never been a Conqueror at Larkhill. There used to be one called "William" at the vechicle depot at Ludgershall nearby but I'm not sure if it's still there.

Tim,

#35: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:48 pm
    ----

It's at the IoW museum now.

#36: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:54 pm
    ----
- Tichenor
Trevor

Some colleagues of mine visited the artillery school at Larkhill.
This is what they found on display:
Original pictures are here.
Pictures by Leo Regemoortels, they may be used under the usual conditions.

Michel

Many thanks Michel - I'll get to write that up as soon as I can.

#37: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:28 pm
    ----
I hoped to visit the Chieftain AVRE at Warrington yesterday, but unfortunately I didn't have enough time. However, having researched it, I decided to write it up anyway:

Location ID 3670: Peninsula Barracks, Warrington - Chieftain AVRE

(Credit: MOD)

While researching it I came across a new Chieftain at Ashchurch (new to me, anyway) so I've written it up too:

Location ID 3075: DSDA, Ashchurch - Chieftain

(Credit: P. Halling/Geograph)

Last edited by TrevorLarkum on Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

#38: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:43 pm
    ----
Have you got the tank at the paintball place at Ancaster, near Sleaford? It's only 10 miles from me, so I can get a snap or two of it.

#39: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:03 pm
    ----
- Pzkpfw-e
Have you got the tank at the paintball place at Ancaster, near Sleaford? It's only 10 miles from me, so I can get a snap or two of it.

That's a new one to me - do you have any more information? And, of course, photos would be much appreciated!

#40: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:58 pm
    ----
I'll take a snap of it, next time I pass. It's a Chieftain in Tan/Green camo.
www.geograph.org.uk/photo/130272

It's turret is now traversed towards the road.

#41: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:19 pm
    ----
Got it, thanks:

maps.google.co.uk/maps...1,,1,-1.75

Photographs as and when you can would be great.

#42: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:39 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
Yesterday I took the family along when I went 'tank paintballing' (a late birthday present from my wife). It was a lot of fun, driving, gunning and having a 'battle' in FV432/30s at Armourgeddon. I was also pleasantly surprised to learn that they are building up a small tank museum. They currently have a Sherman 105 from the Netherlands, plus a Sexton, HST, T-54 and Abbot, as well as various wheeled and half-tracked vehicles (M8 armoured car, M16 half-track, Humber Pig, Ferret, etc.).

I'll post full details here once I've worked through all the photographs I took. In the meantime my thanks go to Iain, Wayne, Craig and the other members of staff for their excellent hosting, and for giving me special access to their vehicle collection.

I have now largely finished writing up Armourgeddon. I think you could almost say it has 'something for everyone' - at least, there's an M4 for Hanno, P.-O. and other Sherman fans, a T-54/Type 69 with serial number for Lesley, a Lance for Tim, etc.

Location ID 3500: Armourgeddon, Husbands Bosworth, Leicestershire

Iain, who showed me round is on the HMVF forum so I've also posted there.

#43: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:18 pm
    ----
Nice location, that is what I like about the UK, you can visit a place like Armourgeddon, drive 5 km to see to old aircraft and end up in the ''Bird in Hand'' pub at Mildenhall Cool . Small museums and military hardware all over the place!

What are the marks of the Chieftains at Ashchurch and Ancaster?

Thanks
Lesley

#44: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:46 pm
    ----
I'll try and get to see the Ancaster Chieftain shortly.

#45: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:08 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing

What are the marks of the Chieftains at Ashchurch and Ancaster?

I haven't found many photos of the Chieftain at Ashchurch, and I'm not an expert on Chieftains anyway. I'd say it's early (Mark 3 perhaps), for example it appears to have no muzzle reference system.

-> AFV News Discussion Board