Preserved Tanks in Britain
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#61: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:30 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
My next steps are to continue going through the records to the end, then add missing photos that I'm aware of - my own old scans from past visits, plus Massimo's excellent pictures (hope that's ok Massimo!)

As I said in the past, please feel free to use my pictures whenever you see fit.

Massimo

#62: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:37 pm
    ----
Thanks - you have some pictures of tanks that I didn't see on my recent visits, plus some of your pictures are plain better than mine!

#63: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:32 pm
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
It has also prompted me to write up Larkhill Range:

Location ID 3067: Larkhill Range

I have combined the entries for the Larkhill and Chirton Down ranges, since Chirton is part of Larkhill:

Location ID 3054: Larkhill Live Firing Ranges (including Chirton)

and I've written up Ludgershall, to give background to a bunch of vehicles at Bovington and elsewhere:

Location ID 3052: RAOC Depot, Ludgershall

#64: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: timrobertsLocation: shrewsbury UK PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:37 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
T-34/85 in Wells (N 51 11.187 W002 40.973)

www.warrelics.eu/forum...rden-9330/

New one?

Regards,
Lesley

This T34/85 is an Polish T34/85M1, that was originally with a batch of others at A F Budges Airfield storage site, which was at Garmston near Retford UK.
After Budge went bust it was purchased by John Lees of Crosshouses, Shrewsbury, UK, together with several of the others previously owned by Budge. It is there that it was repainted in "Russian" colors. I examined all these T34s at Retford & Crosshouses, I don't have the chassis nos but I do have details of all the turret, cupola and mantlet casting numbers, as well as several hundred photos, if anyone is interested just let me know.
Best Wishes
Tim
Shrewsbury U.K

#65: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:46 pm
    ----
- timroberts

This T34/85 is an Polish T34/85M1, that was originally with a batch of others at A F Budges Airfield storage site, which was at Garmston near Retford UK.
After Budge went bust it was purchased by John Lees of Crosshouses, Shrewsbury, UK, together with several of the others previously owned by Budge. It is there that it was repainted in "Russian" colors. I examined all these T34s at Retford & Crosshouses, I don't have the chassis nos but I do have details of all the turret, cupola and mantlet casting numbers, as well as several hundred photos, if anyone is interested just let me know.

Tim, I'm certainly interested but can't do it right now - can I take a raincheck, for when I get to write up the Budge collection?

#66: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: timrobertsLocation: shrewsbury UK PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:40 pm
    ----
Dear Trevor, I will never get rid of the photos so just ask when you are ready.

#67: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:37 pm
    ----
Any info about this Churchill in Northern Ireland (UK)

www.flickr.com/photos/...6010892239

?

There is one Churchill Mk X LT (“Light Turret”) in Base of North Irish Horse, Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK) but this "?" one don't have “Light Turret”.

#68: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:50 am
    ----
- bialy-r

?

There is one Churchill Mk X LT (“Light Turret”) in Base of North Irish Horse, Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK) but this "?" one don't have “Light Turret”.

Looks like a Churchill Mk VII (not Crocodile).

P-O

#69: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: JimWebLocation: The back of beyond PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:40 am
    ----
- bialy-r

?

That's the Ordnance Depot at Holywood and that vehicle is definitely not there any more. Nobody seems to know where it went either.

I suspect that it was at Ballykinnler as a gate guardian for a while before the infantry took exception and had it moved on.

That's at the Dunmore Park Camp and can be easily seen on Google Maps along with a Ferret & Saladin. However that image is way old and I haven't been in there for about three years so I'll swing by sometime in the next week or so and confirm its still there.

#70: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:58 am
    ----
- TrevorLarkum
The work continues, but those who are interested are welcome to view the work-in-progress:

Location ID 3000: Bovington Tank Musem - Public Areas - currently 116 tanks

Location ID 3016: Bovington Tank Musem - Reserve Collection - currently 101 tanks

The next phase is complete - I have gone through all 630 online vehicle records in detail. My Bovington database is now in three sections (not counting vehicles around Bovington Camp):

Location ID 3000: Bovington Tank Museum - Public Areas - final count 117 tanks

Location ID 3016: Bovington Tank Museum - Reserve Collection - final count 143 tanks

Location ID 3020: Bovington Tank Museum - Tankfest Arena - final count 2 (permanent) tanks

- TrevorLarkum
Having got frustrated with searching the Bovington online vehicle records I spent some time working out a better, repeatable way of accessing them - and not just current ones, but past ones too.

I spoke too soon - Bovington has just changed the database so all the record numbers have changed (mostly decreasing their index by 4) for no apparent reason. I have updated most of the links by hand - about 200 - and will do the remaining ones soon. If they change the system again I will look into creating some web code designed to cope better with their apparently random changes.

Anyway, the good news is that I now know exactly what tanks are or have been on the museum books, and every tank I list is now backed up by a link to the museum's database so the tanks on display and in the main storage areas are fully accounted for. The remaining mysteries are those vehicles that were on the books and have since been disposed of or loaned out - these are in the 'Status Unknown' section of the Reserve Collection page. Eventually I hope to track them all down, but it will be no small task (certainly I've already tracked a few to the Isle of Wight Museum, the RE musuem, the Littlefield collection, and elsewhere).

I've added about 100 photos from a visit in 1982 that has filled a few photographic gaps (as a number of tanks on display then are now hidden in reserve).

Meanwhile, to fill in background locations for a number of the vehicles recovered from ranges I have this weekend written up OTA and SENTA:

Location ID 3770: Otterburn Training Area (OTA)

Location ID 3830: Sennybridge Training Area (SENTA)

I've also started entries for IOWMM and McGregor Defence.

Last edited by TrevorLarkum on Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:52 pm; edited 4 times in total

#71: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: timrobertsLocation: shrewsbury UK PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:17 am
    ----
Dear Trevor, by McGregor defence do you mean Ian McGregor from by Ruthin North Wales? I have loads of pictures from there, including some of the ex Shrivenham PzIV/70
Best Wishes
Tim

#72: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:16 pm
    ----
Hi Tim! Hi Folks!

- timroberts

- L.Delsing

T-34/85 in Wells (N 51 11.187 W002 40.973)

www.warrelics.eu/forum...rden-9330/
Lesley

This T34/85 is an Polish T34/85M1, .....
Tim
Shrewsbury U.K

I have a question about this vehicle. T34/85 I understand. The "M1" is new to me. Want makes that vehicle a "M1"?

Sgt, Scouts out!

#73: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:32 pm
    ----
- timroberts
Dear Trevor, by McGregor defence do you mean Ian McGregor from by Ruthin North Wales? I have loads of pictures from there, including some of the ex Shrivenham PzIV/70
Best Wishes
Tim

Just replied to your PM, actually - yes it's that one, and I'd love to see any pics you have. Did Ian McGregor broker the deal for the RMCS Pz IV/70? I didn't know that.

- Roy_A_Lingle

I have a question about this vehicle. T34/85 I understand. The "M1" is new to me. Want makes that vehicle a "M1"?

Sgt, Scouts out!

This refers to Polish built vehicles, they underwent two major upgrades, to M1 and M2. I'm not sure what was in M1 (probably similar to the Soviet M upgrade), but M2 was distinctive as it including deep wading capability, with a snorkel stowed along the left side of the hull and a canvas cover over the mantlet.

#74: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:04 pm
    ----
Here you report a Pz 68 withr/n 77640:
preservedtanks.com/Pro...queID=2129

That r/n belongs to Bovington's Pz 61:
www.flickr.com/photos/...877626189/

As far as I know they don't have any Pz 68

Massimo

#75: Re: Preserved Tanks in Britain Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Here you report a Pz 68 withr/n 77640:
preservedtanks.com/Pro...queID=2129

That r/n belongs to Bovington's Pz 61:
www.flickr.com/photos/...877626189/

As far as I know they don't have any Pz 68

Well spotted - it's a Pz 61, I don't know why I wrote Pz 68 (a slip of the keyboard, or the brain!). Anyway, fixed, thanks.

I'm hoping to add your Bovington photo's soon (most of the 400+!) - do you know a way I can download them from Flickr without having to do them one by one?

-> AFV News Discussion Board