Our plans and trips to military museums
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 19, 20, 21  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#91: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:44 pm
    ----
Thanks for the head up! Looks like many tourist guides, even online, are outdated... I finally found this:

The military museum in Montjuic Castle Barcelona closed on 24 May 2009 after 47 years in operation. Some items will stay at Montjuic Castle while the bulk of the exhibits will go to the castle Castillo de Sant Ferran in Figueres and some to the barracks Sant Climent Sescebes in Girona. Montjuic Castle is now used for cultural activities and is open to the general public

Looking at pictures it seems like some artillery piece is still outdoor in the Castle. So most likely I'll go for a visit anyway. I'll just keep the photo gear to bare minimum in order to travel light.

Is there anything else in Barcelona? Not only AFVs, I like planes too.

#92: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:43 pm
    ----
- Massimo_Foti
Most, if not all, the planes I would like to see are in the main location:
www.deutsches-museum.d...ronautics/

There is also a separated exhibition for aviation, 18 kilometers north of Munich's downtown:
www.deutsches-museum.d...flugwerft/

Then I've read great things about the land transport exhibition, again, in a separated location, but in the city:
www.deutsches-museum.d...rszentrum/

There is also BMW's own museum... Looks like I will have to make some hard choices

I came back from Munich. Deutsches Museum is indeed great if you like science and technology. I went to the main location and the land transport exhibition. I skipped the dedicated plane exhibition (maybe next time). Looking at the Me 262 was cool (it came from Switzerland, just like their Fi 156), same for Me 163 and Ba 349. The Rheintochter R 1 was an unexpected surprise too.

I managed to get some good pictures of vehicles with holzgasgenerator and some vintage softskins (Steyr Typ 50, Tatra Typ 87, Adler Diplomat 3 GS), but no AFVs.

BMW Welt is located inside an amazing modern building, it's worth a visit for that alone. The BMW Museum is cool too:
www.bmw-welt.com/web_r...rview.html

I've got pictures of 4 different BMW Isetta, my daughter loves that car Smile

Massimo

#93: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:19 am
    ----
I am back from Barcelona. The Montjuic Castle is worth a visit even without the Museum. There are still two batteries of heavy coastal guns, 305 mm from around 1890 and 152 mm from around 1930.

Massimo

#94: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:27 pm
    ----
I am planning a family trip to Amsterdam this summer. Anything worth visiting over there? Not just AFVs, planes and ships are okay too.

I would love to go to Overloon, but I am afraid it would be too complicated with just public transport...

Massimo

#95: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:51 pm
    ----
hello Massimo,

that depends what you call "worth visiting". 63 kilometers far from Amsterdam, there is the army museum in Delft, with 3 vehicles I really would like to have good pictures of :
-M4A1E9 Sherman
-Type 97 TE-KE
-GMC Scoutcar 4x4 Otter Mk I

the M4A1 seems to have been manufactured by Lima LW, and I would need a full walkaround of it with plenty of detail photos Mr. Green

I don't know what they have that is not armored in this museum..

P-O

#96: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:03 pm
    ----
That's an excellent suggestion. Looks like the place is very easy to reach by train. Less than one hour from Amsterdam, plus a few minutes of walk. The Type 97 TE-KE alone is worth the trip. I am very glad I've asked; thank you very much

Are you sure those three vehicles are on display? I am surprised you haven't got any good pictures of them. We have quite a few dutch people here, are they just slackers?

Massimo

#97: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:15 pm
    ----
Last time I was in Delft there were also one or two YP-408s, a Centurion and a PRTL on display.

I will look what I have (digital), I must have some photos but I'am afraid it are old Fujichrome 50 /kodachrome 64 slides....

IIRC there is also a maritime museum in Amsterdam with a little bit of navy and of course merchant navy. At IJmuiden there is an old bunker for small midget submarines/S-boten and of course other Atlantic Wall fortifications

Why to Amsterdam?? In my personal opinion there are nicer cities to visit such as Utrecht or Maastricht. BTW Don't take a taxi from the airport to the city. Its very expensive and public transport will bring you to the center for just a fraction of the cost of a taxi.

Regards,
Lesley

#98: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:21 pm
    ----
- L.Delsing
Why to Amsterdam?? In my personal opinion there are nicer cities to visit such as Utrecht or Maastricht. BTW Don't take a taxi from the airport to the city. Its very expensive and public transport will bring you to the center for just a fraction of the cost of a taxi.

Wife and daughter would like to visit Amsterdam, and we get direct, cheap flight from Milano/Malpensa...
As for the taxi, don't worry, I never use them to leave/reach the airport, at least not in West Europe
Thanks for the advice anyway.

Looking at the PDF I see the Cavalerie Museum in Amersfoort as well. Looks like another place I can reach with a train plus either a walk or a short bus ride.

Massimo

#99: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:07 pm
    ----
The Cavalry museum is a very short walk from Amersfoort station. And they have a zoo next to the cavalrymuseum for wife and daughter..

Regards,
Lesley

#100: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:02 am
    ----
- L.Delsing
And they have a zoo next to the cavalrymuseum for wife and daughter..

I am pretty sure they'll prefer to stay in Amsterdam for a shopping session instead Smile

Massimo

#101: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:18 pm
    ----
I was in Delft a couple of years ago
Pictures turned up very bad ( as you can see )
No flash allowed

#102: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:41 pm
    ----
- Walter
I was in Delft a couple of years ago
No flash allowed

That's explain why it's hard to find good pictures from Delft.
I plan to update my camera to something that performs even better in low-light, but I am not sure I will have it ready by July...

Thanks for the info

Massimo

PS I would love to meet any dutch friend that would like to join for a visits to one museum over there

#103: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:43 pm
    ----
PS I would love to meet any dutch friend that would like to join for a visits to one museum over there

depends when you will be there
If I am free of work I would come for a meeting !

Walter

#104: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:10 pm
    ----
- Walter
depends when you will be there
If I am free of work I would come for a meeting !

I still don't have final dates, it's supposed to be something between July 3rd and 8th. Let's see if somebody else may like to join, then we could define more details by email.

Massimo

#105: Re: Our plans and trips to military museums Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:02 pm
    ----
BTW, the army days 2012 will be held at Oirschot on 12 and 13 may. Nice opportunity to see some vehicles, helicopters and fast movers. I will be there also.

-> AFV News Discussion Board