Ocala, FL - M47 gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Ocala, FL - M47 gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:45 am
    ----
We’ve posted a gallery of photos from VFW Post 4209 - Ocala, FL M47

afvagabond.smugmug.com...2142_Gha4C

#2: Re: Ocala, FL - M47 gallery Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:20 am
    ----
Did you go to Garlits' museum while you were there?

#3: Re: Ocala, FL - M47 gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:19 am
    ----
No Garlits museum yet - we've driven by about a hundred times, though.
I was always more of a Don 'The Snake' Prudhomme fan.
Brings back 'Hot Wheels' memories! LOL!

#4: Re: Ocala, FL - M47 gallery Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:55 am
    ----
I was a "Big" fan, and had the privilege to be there at Bristol when he "borrowed" Swamp Rat 13 (the 2 speed tranny car he'd blown his right foot off with at Lyons a few months before) in it's (and his) first return after being sewed back together (the car and the foot) with the single speed for the run in Bristol at the AHRA national where he set the top speed and lowest ET since the accident and for the meet.

The car as it is at the museum...

garlits.com/swamprat13.htm

The car, Big and the Low ET, top speed run that I took in 1970. Ever the gracious man, "Big" is very mindful of his fans and the 19 Y.O. taking these pics....
You'll notice he's favoring his right foot leaning on the tire, since half of it was gone when I took that pic.

#5: Re: Ocala, FL - M47 gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:40 am
    ----
Excellent shot. Have you used the 17-55 or something wider?
It doesn't look like one of those former Italian Army M47 that are pretty common in USA.

Massimo

#6: Re: Ocala, FL - M47 gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:23 pm
    ----
Thanks Massimo - that shot was taken with my 17-55 at 17mm. It's going to be a while before I can invest in any more glass. On a shoot this weekend, Mrs VB's loyal Panasonic G1 started exhibiting signs of impending shutter failure Sad The little guy has over 96000 shots on him. It's a sad day.

I didn't see the Italian rebuild plate on the rear of the Ocala M47. Could it be a domestic?

Doug - I'll make sure we stop in at the Garlits museum the next opportunity. He sounds like a very cool guy - loved your photos! Cool that you were there!

#7: Re: Ocala, FL - M47 gallery Author: Massimo_FotiLocation: Lugano, Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:36 pm
    ----
Sorry to hear that... 96000 shots are quite a lot, I don't think we could blame Panasonic for that. It's not unusual for a shutter to last longer than that, but I am afraid it's already over its estimated life Sad

Italians M47s usually had their hull machine gun removed too. That's the first thing I noticed

Massimo

#8: Re: Ocala, FL - M47 gallery Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:00 pm
    ----
Hard to tell - it does have the typical Italian rain gutters, and what looks like the mounting plate on the hull rear for a rebuild plate.

#9: Re: Ocala, FL - M47 gallery Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:19 pm
    ----
- vagabond

HA HA HA

I had the Hot Wheels Snake & Mongoose drag set with I was a bit younger !!

I too was a Don Prudhomme Fan. Never really liked 'the Big Daddy'. Even when I lived down in West Palm Beach in the early 70s.

Neat stuff
Regards
Don

#10: Re: Ocala, FL - M47 gallery Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:27 pm
    ----
- Dontos
- vagabond

HA HA HA

I had the Hot Wheels Snake & Mongoose drag set with I was a bit younger !!

I too was a Don Prudhomme Fan. Never really liked 'the Big Daddy'. Even when I lived down in West Palm Beach in the early 70s.

Neat stuff
Regards
Don

Not liking "Big" is Un-American! He's a very personable, righteous guy who did everything in his sport, and did it first. Yeah, he was a fierce competitor and not especially helpful to women in the sport (read: Shirley Muldowney, who earned her stripes) but he has always known who made the sport successful...the fans. I've met him a few times and exchanged emails on occasion. He's never "too big" to talk to people, especially since he doesn't chase championships anymore. I like his principles of telling the Navy to "go fish" when they insisted he take the cross off his car. He told them he could survive without their sponsorship.

-> AFV News Discussion Board