USMC M-88A2
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: USMC M-88A2 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:46 pm
    ----
I'm wondering why the lifting boom is missing.

#2: Re: USMC M-88A2 Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:49 pm
    ----
- MarkHolloway
I'm wondering why the lifting boom is missing.

In all probability, it isn't missing, just concealed behind that lip around the roof of the vehicle that A2's have. The boom sort of sits down in that recess like concealed windshield wipers on a car.

Oh, and the booms aren't round anymore. Rather they are a combination of flat and box-shaped near the end.

Some nice shots from various angles here:

kr.blog.yahoo.com/shinecommerce/517

#3: Re: USMC M-88A2 Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:42 pm
    ----
You're probably right, Doug. I was looking at the lifting eyes and thought it was the boom mount. I noticed the new style boom on these. Also the fender skirts. One more ID feature is a winch on the outside of the front.

#4: Re: USMC M-88A2 Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:12 am
    ----
Hi Mark! Hi Folks!

That's the Hercules. It has a number of changes from the older M88s.

It is build to handle the the heavest Abrams tanks which the older M88s had problems dealing with.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#5: Re: USMC M-88A2 Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:20 pm
    ----
Hi,

The boom is there. If you look above the edge of the left side armor, you can see the ladder rungs that run up the side of the boom.

Is it in NATO-flage or just green?

Chuck

#6: Re: USMC M-88A2 Author: tanker2010Location: Kansas City, Mo. PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:36 am
    ----
It's NATO Tri-color.

-> AFV News Discussion Board