a guy down the road from me...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#16: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:08 pm
    ----
LOL...Stoopy, great pics and what incredible cars those were! Oh...and the last pic is quite intriguing ..

The original post stirred up some past emotions as I remember the passion for building drag racing cars. Those were fun days for sure!!

#17: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:43 pm
    ----
Hey, is it just me, or does that guy second from the right look a lot like Don Everly? Anyone else see that?

#18: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:36 am
    ----
Oh my I hope that young lady finds her contact lens that she's looking for....

...just not anytime soon though.... Twisted Evil

Y'all mentioned Fuel Altered's a few posts ago and just by coincidence I saw this, rather worth viewing (and listening too)...

#19: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:06 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
Oh my I hope that young lady finds her contact lens that she's looking for....

...just not anytime soon though.... Twisted Evil

Y'all mentioned Fuel Altered's a few posts ago and just by coincidence I saw this, rather worth viewing (and listening too)...

Jungle Pam? Contacts? Hah! Only girl I ever saw who's looks actually improve with glasses, and her looks didn't need a lot of help. Laughing

Watched that video...wild. And that's with the "new, improved" vintage class with mandated longer wheelbases (to judge by the quality of the vid and the other car during the burnout). The old short wheelbase cars won't be allowed on the track in competition anymore, probably a good idea.

Search Youtube for some of the classic movies, and especially ones of "Rat Trap". Wink

#20: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:28 pm
    ----
just watched it with a big sheeeet eatin grin, thanks stoopy!!!

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

Winged Exppress

#21: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:17 pm
    ----
I love drag racing and in my youth, was at the 'track' all the time! Thanks for sharing the pics, movies, stories and personal happenings...

#22: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:45 am
    ----
Bringing our C Gas digger back up the track with a push start at Bristol (Texas flag for effect on return, not mounted during runs, obviously...owners' eccentricity). Couldn't engage reverse after the burnout so we turned it around and restarted (with permission from officials) .Pontiac Grand Prix for a push car. Mr. Green

This is at the same meet as the Garlits shots.

Last edited by JG300-Ascout on Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

#23: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:53 am
    ----
AWESOME!!!

We have an eighth-mile dragstrip not far from me, right next to a 3/8 mile D-shaped oval racetrack. Friday nights are for drag racing, Saturday night is for the roundy-round NASCAR-sanctioned events, several different classes of grass-roots racing. Lots of fun and when watching the race from the stands you have to be careful what you say about the drivers since it's quite possible to find yourself sitting next to some of their family members!

Now that spring is here they're having Test &Tune nights and you can run your car or bike down the strip for $15. Been tempted to chuck my mo'cycle helmet in the 'Stang and run down there and make a pass just for fun...or hey maybe the bike since it's supposed to run the quarter in the mid-12's or at least that's what the specs say.

Has been a while since I was out there on a Friday night but it's way cool to go hang out and watch them run. Neat piece of good ol' Americana that still somehow manages to maintain a presence in this day and age....hopefully y'all may find something like this near you this summer, no time like the present to go enjoy it!

#24: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:18 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
AWESOME!!!

We have an eighth-mile dragstrip not far from me, right next to a 3/8 mile D-shaped oval racetrack. Friday nights are for drag racing, Saturday night is for the roundy-round NASCAR-sanctioned events, several different classes of grass-roots racing. Lots of fun and when watching the race from the stands you have to be careful what you say about the drivers since it's quite possible to find yourself sitting next to some of their family members!

Now that spring is here they're having Test &Tune nights and you can run your car or bike down the strip for $15. Been tempted to chuck my mo'cycle helmet in the 'Stang and run down there and make a pass just for fun...or hey maybe the bike since it's supposed to run the quarter in the mid-12's or at least that's what the specs say.

Has been a while since I was out there on a Friday night but it's way cool to go hang out and watch them run. Neat piece of good ol' Americana that still somehow manages to maintain a presence in this day and age....hopefully y'all may find something like this near you this summer, no time like the present to go enjoy it!

I watched two my old favorite racing venues go down to developers (Carlsbad Raceway, CA a motorcycle racing venue for me) or just abandonment after being shut down by new neighbors who objected to the "noise")....the old Shuffletown Dragway in Newton, more-or-less, NC).

www.carlsbadraceway.org/

Local dragstrips....preserve them!

#25: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:06 am
    ----
Been on this track many times and more than once had to pull the chute to keep out of the corn field at the end...lol

Click HERE!

#26: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:00 am
    ----
hey bush! got the note about the new amusement park CC is opening in central illinois... dunno if I can make the opening tho...

Bush's Roller Coaster

#27: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:17 pm
    ----
ROFLMAO...

#28: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: Uhu_FledermausLocation: Blaricum, The Netherlands ~GMT+1 PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:22 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
Hey, is it just me, or does that guy second from the right look a lot like Don Everly? Anyone else see that?

to me it looks more that a "crack" is looking fer something where it shouldn't be Razz Wink

#29: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:44 am
    ----
Drop down to post #24 for some insight into the "bad old days" of street racing. Mr. Green

I had this issue at one time, remember reading it in '69 or so. Thankfully, somebody scanned it.

www.jalopyjournal.com/...401&page=2

#30: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:39 am
    ----
Street racin'? Glad I never did that! (lookin' around for lighting)...

-> Officer's Club