a guy down the road from me...
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#31: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: wheelsup_cavuLocation: Corona, California PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:54 am
    ----
We had scanners to keep track of the police. Thankfully helicopters were not as ubiquitous then as they are now.

Wheels

#32: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:46 am
    ----
*picturing you lot as extras in 'American Graffiti'.

#33: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:47 pm
    ----
wouldn't be far from it - more like Dazed n Confused Shades LOL

the 70's...

#34: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:17 pm
    ----
Cool.
That wuz my last day at school too.
'Til I went to college of course.
*sigh*.

I didn't imagine you'd have Cricket bats over there that long ago though.
You colonials might not be as backward as we first thought.

#35: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:37 am
    ----
- HF_SlowHand
wouldn't be far from it - more like Dazed n Confused Shades LOL

the 70's...

Dazed and Confused in high school in the mid-'70's was nothing like my experience of it....being a 24 Y.O. freshly minted combat veteran with a desire to study being unleashed on the coed population who were more used to dealing with 20 year old males who mainly focused on binge-drinking beer and trying to impress the girls. Trust me, 3-4 years doesn't sound like much, but a 24 year old veteran seriously back is school is a whole order of threat magnitude above the beer-swigging, newly away from home 19 year old when it comes to competing for the attentions of the coed part of the class structure.

Last edited by Doug_Kibbey on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

#36: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:29 am
    ----
Lucky sob!

#37: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:35 pm
    ----
- Shades
I didn't imagine you'd have Cricket bats over there that long ago though. You colonials might not be as backward as we first thought.

Well, now - that is how a Yank uses the Cricket bat but we learned from you all..

Your Name Sir

Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green

#38: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:52 pm
    ----
LOL!
Who'd have thought House would evolve from that.

In Paris just now.
Just had a Fillet Mignon in my hotel restaurant and toasted y'all over it with a Bud'.
25°C tomorrow, apparently.
Bit too hot for me really, but what can you do?

#39: Re: a guy down the road from me... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:02 pm
    ----
Because I know you're dying to know the rest of the story (and because I've never scanned these pics before)...here's how the run with our C Gas Dragster did against a top class Gasser body....

"Sneaky" Pete Robinson's SOHC Ford car. With Kalitta, he was one of the two top Ford racers. I don't recall if this was one of the "jack" cars or not. With this meet (this is the same race at Bristol, Sept. 70 as the Garlits and C Gas car pics), he secured the AHRA All-American at Bristol.

Pete was killed in a nasty crash with the guardrail at Pomona the next year.

In the modern day of luxo transporters that are full-bore luxury coaches with tents out the side, even the top teams back then showed up with ratty pickups and flatbed trailers for their cars.

I'm not sure, but I think this was Chris "The Greek" Karamesines dragster, also at Bristol.

-> Officer's Club