Finally, public display for part of The Wheatcroft Collectio
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#31: Re: Finally, public display for part of The Wheatcroft Collectio Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:59 pm
    ----
I think it's sad that Mr. Wheatcroft is getting raked over the coals,

Can't comment on the Swedish dilemma, but as far as the US Army's obstinate ways, no surprise. Seems like they'd rather keep everything to themselves and let the stuff rot out doors (Knox's collection comes to mind as it languishes in a motor pool on Sand Hill at Fort Benning) than let a private owner take care of them under the condition they cannot leave the continental US. At least at Knox you could get access to the stuff not displayed with coordination, now it's all locked away for who knows how long. The laws in the US are really ignorant too. I find it Ironic that in Great Britain handguns are illegal but you can own a former UK Army tank, yet in the US it's quite the opposite, Buying a handgun is very simple yet ownership of old Army tanks is near impossible, driving the price of the few M60's in private hands to astronomical levels and guaranteeing that very few will be preserved in original operating order Mad .

#32: Re: Finally, public display for part of The Wheatcroft Collectio Author: P_J_SMITH PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:19 am
    ----
Did anyone write to Mr. Wheatcroft with questions? Their release had stated:

"As stated earlier Mr Wheatcroft is prepared to answer any reasonable questions emailed to wheatcroftquestions @ gmail.com in the course of the next 7 days (the 7day period for questions to be put is 21 – 28 April 2011 – questions received after 28
April 2011 will not be answered). Mr Wheatcroft will require a period of 14 days to answer any reasonable questions received."

I wrote on April 22 and asked:

"What is the total approximate dollar or pound sterling amount of "expenses incurred in connection with restoration and removal to the UK be reimbursed", that you are requesting before releasing the vehicles?"

"My request is so that I may contact my elected officials in Washington, D.C. and see if they are able to bring this to a conclusion"

While I did not receive a response and it really has not been that long past the date they said responses would be made, does anyone know whether anyone else received a response or were responses posted online somewhere?

#33: Re: Finally, public display for part of The Wheatcroft Collectio Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:23 am
    ----
- P_J_SMITH
Did anyone write to Mr. Wheatcroft with questions? Their release had stated:

"As stated earlier Mr Wheatcroft is prepared to answer any reasonable questions emailed to wheatcroftquestions @ gmail.com in the course of the next 7 days (the 7day period for questions to be put is 21 – 28 April 2011 – questions received after 28
April 2011 will not be answered). Mr Wheatcroft will require a period of 14 days to answer any reasonable questions received."

I wrote on April 22 and asked:

"What is the total approximate dollar or pound sterling amount of "expenses incurred in connection with restoration and removal to the UK be reimbursed", that you are requesting before releasing the vehicles?"

"My request is so that I may contact my elected officials in Washington, D.C. and see if they are able to bring this to a conclusion"

While I did not receive a response and it really has not been that long past the date they said responses would be made, does anyone know whether anyone else received a response or were responses posted online somewhere?

And this surprises anyone how?

The announcement was in all probability not calculated to satisfy public curiosity, but to discourage any expression of it.

#34: Re: Finally, public display for part of The Wheatcroft Colle Author: P_J_SMITH PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:04 pm
    ----
I have received a response from Mr. Wheatcroft and am posting it below.

On a personal note, I would like to see the Tiger returned to the United States and the restoration be done by one of the many talented museums here where the public could view the work as it is ongoing. The volunteers and professionals at the Patton Museum in Kentucky would be my first choice and then it could be displayed there for some time before moving it to the new armour school base.

Mr. Wheatcroft should certainly be compensated for his expenses.

I am going to write to my U.S. Senators and Congressman. Could anyone make any recommendations on officers/departments in the U.S. Army to whom I could correspond to get information and make an appeal for action?

This reminds me of when the Elefant had been taken away from APG for restoration and upon return, was parked near the railroad siding for a long time. The base commander had it moved to a different location because she would not accept the explanation that they did not have proper equipment to do the job.

Maybe reaching that one person would be enough to get things rolling.

Hello Paul

Firstly, please accept my apologies for the delay in replying – I have received so many e-mails of support, it has taken a while to answer them all.

Thank you for your offer of assistance, but this matter is private between two parties and I feel it’s only correct not to divulge sensitive information to anyone other than the parties involved. After all, that’s how all this business started.

Best regards

Kevin Wheatcroft

On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Paul Smith <XXXXXXXXX> wrote:
Hello,
I read the posting about the APG and other AFVs.

www.pathfinderonline.c...-statement

What is the total approximate dollar or pound sterling amount of "expenses incurred in connection with restoration and removal to the UK be reimbursed", that you are requesting before releasing the vehicles?

My request is so that I may contact my elected officials in Washington, D.C. and see if they are able to bring this to a conclusion.

Thank you.

Paul Smith

#35: Re: Finally, public display for part of The Wheatcroft Collectio Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:59 am
    ----
On a personal note, I would like to see the Tiger returned to the United States and the restoration be done by one of the many talented museums here where the public could view the work as it is ongoing. The volunteers and professionals at the Patton Museum in Kentucky would be my first choice and then it could be displayed there for some time before moving it to the new armour school base.

PJ

Thank you for your vote of confidence. Unfortunately the capabilities,facilities, and equipment that was part of the success of the Patton Museum, no longer exists. Just about everything has been packed up and moved to Ft Benning.

Hopefully the current staff of the future National Armor & Cavalry will be able to secure interest & support to rebuild a facility that will enable future restorations.

I would love to work on the Tiger, as would most if not all of the former Patton Museum Volunteers but realistically,.....it won't happen in this lifetime.

Regards
Don

#36: Re: Finally, public display for part of The Wheatcroft Collectio Author: mkenny PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:21 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

And this surprises anyone how?

The announcement was in all probability not calculated to satisfy public curiosity, but to discourage any expression of it.

The statement by Wheatcroft said :

He is aware that court papers relating
to the prosecution are circulating on the internet. He has not authorised the
publication of any documents
but it is manifest from these documents that he was
not engaged in any unlawful activity nor has he sought to cause any harm to any
person in relation to the acquisition of these articles

Wheatcroft does not own the court papers and they are public in Sweden. Wheatcroft has no authority to authorise anything about them. They relate to the trial of Daniel Misik and contain a full record of the email traffic between Wheatcroft and Misik. Misik is the man convicted of the theft.
I have a full copy of all the Police Documents.

#37: Re: Finally, public display for part of The Wheatcroft Collectio Author: WalterLocation: Arnhem PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:15 pm
    ----
Is anyone going to the Wheatcroft Collection in Donnington this year ?
I just read that the Famo and newly restored SdKfz 7 are there on dispaly also
Would love to see some pictures

Walter

#38: Re: Finally, public display for part of The Wheatcroft Collectio Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:31 pm
    ----
I went a few months ago. Photos of what was on display then are on this board somewhere. They had several motorbikes, a Kettenkrad, Kfz15, Steyr 1500, Citroen Kegresse & a Trippel, an RSO appeared shortly after.
This guys got a lot of photos.
keito1809.wordpress.com/images/
Sort yourself a cheap flight to East Midlands Airport, the collection in literally around the corner from it!
Edit
Military Modelling had a good spread on his collection.
www.militarymodelling....4334958272
Maybe some of the armour will come to Donnington, but the wing of the Donnington museum it's in, has a semi-circular profile and the door's not too large either.

-> AFV News Discussion Board