Worst one yet....
-> Software

#1: Worst one yet.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:21 am
    ----
..picked up the "XP Anti-virus 20011" malware-selling bug today on one of my systems. Can't do a system restore (locked out of that) even with a "safe startup"...and can't access IE or Mozilla. In other words, screwed. Will need professional if I can't get quick solution here.

HELP!

#2: Re: Worst one yet.... Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:01 am
    ----
When you get it fixed, ask them about disk imaging.
You'll be able to re-format and just install the image to get back to how you like your system set up.

#3: Re: Worst one yet.... Author: jrockyLocation: South St Paul, MN USA (KSGS) PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:00 pm
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
..picked up the "XP Anti-virus 20011" malware-selling bug today on one of my systems. Can't do a system restore (locked out of that) even with a "safe startup"...and can't access IE or Mozilla. In other words, screwed. Will need professional if I can't get quick solution here.

HELP!

Pretty nasty one to get rid of. If you can use another computer see this site and follow the manual removal steps:
www.2-spyware.com/remo...us-xp.html
A neighbor of mine had this on his laptop, I took the laptop into my apartment viewing the steps on my desktop and followed the steps outlined. Got rid of that fake antivirus "XP Anti-virus 20011"!

#4: Re: Worst one yet.... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:59 pm
    ----
Thanks jrocky, that's a great site and one I've used in the past as well.

Follow the steps exactly Ascout and that should do the trick. Prevention is hard as the script writers use a 'drive by' attack, meaning as you surf the net, it runs a script saying your machine is effected and you need to "Click Here" to remove. Of course, once you do, your machine is infected.

I use a program called Spybot Search and Destroy to protect the Host file from getting written to which is a common practice for virus writers. To get Spybot, (which is free.. ), go HERE! If you're running Win Vista or 7, make sure you run the program as Administrator. (right click on EXE and choose run as admin). Wink

Of course, the other solution is to run Linux as the main OS and I run this one and Win Virus' doesn't effect it ... Wink

#5: Re: Worst one yet.... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:48 am
    ----
Well, as I could not access internet with that machine, and the manual steps made me twitchy, I took it in for professional cure today. may get back tomorrow or Saturday. I had some blue screen issues as well since the vid card was replaced under warranty, so it seemed time for a tuneup anyway. Will advise how it went.

#6: Re: Worst one yet.... Author: jrockyLocation: South St Paul, MN USA (KSGS) PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:20 pm
    ----
Use Firefox browser, you can add-on No Script, this blocks a lot of Java Script. If you want to view a site that you trust can allow Java Script to be enabled on that site. After the add-on is part of Firefox there is a "no" circle over the "S" on the right bottom of the browser. Click the "no" circle and a pop-up menu appears and you can chose allow for the site permanently or temporarily run Java Script. Also somewhat Add Blocker Plus add-on for Firefox can be another way to block malware that may be in adds.

-> Software