StuG III In the Light of Day
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:56 pm
    ----
Does some one know what unit this StuG belonged to Confused

I have been searching for the unit marking, a white shield with red wolf's head
However I can't find it

Michel

#17: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:27 pm
    ----
Michel

I have some archival photos of this vehicle taken in the 80's. It is a detailed series of photos (in B&W) that does include the above 'sticker'. I'll dig it out.

Thanks for the translation. I guess I need to check out my 'BOG' StuG III interior photos to see if the same 'sticker' is mounted in the same place.

BTW: The StuG departed earlier today and will be at Ft Benning this evening. I took some more detailed photos and will post later.

Regards
Don

#18: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: TrevorLarkumLocation: Northampton, England PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:52 pm
    ----
- Michel_Krauss
Does some one know what unit this StuG belonged to :?

From the notes I took when I visited in the 80s it was the Sturmgeschütz Abteilung of 116th Pz Div:

Unique ID 136: Fort Knox StuG

#19: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:12 pm
    ----
Here are a few items of interest following todays visit with the StuG III (SN 452065)

Archival Photos from the Collection "Jacket":

Interior label(believed to be in the early 80's...??):

It was operational for a number of years, and was demonstrated by Patton Museum Volunteers of the day:

I did happen to find some interesting production cast & stamped information in various locations.

Also it is appearent that the impact hit on the front was from an aircraft strafing it. This is based on the angle of impact. It was perhaps a .50cal or larger...

There is a number of different roadwheels mounted. THis vehicle has roadwheels produced by 'VEWEL', 'VORWERK', 'SEMPERIT', & 'CONTINNENTAL'. There are also some unmarked roadwheels which bear no manufacturer name as the other.

Just a few items of interest to anyone so inclined....
Regards
Don

#20: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:03 pm
    ----
- Michel_Krauss
Does some one know what unit this StuG belonged to Confused

I have been searching for the unit marking, a white shield with red wolf's head
However I can't find it

Michel

The closest I can make out, is StugBrg 259

However, they only ever served on the Eastern Front.

#21: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:33 pm
    ----
this picture is a good one

What I first thought that it would be about adjusting of the torsion bars is actualy about the positioning of the torsion bars.

Below the first 3 lines with the numbers

Einstellung der unb.???..n Stabfeder - Positioning of the ..???.. torsionbar

Then, what I first thouged to be a hand written line, is a schematic of the suspension arms.
With a angle of 50° (angle between the vertical and the arm) and next to the schematic the line "Unterkante Wanne" - underside hull with the number 45.
The 45cm would be the distance between the hull and the centre of the roadwheel.

Has some one a StuG 3 standing at home to check Wink

The problem now is that I still haven't figured out why the 55 and 52 mm dimensions are given

I know the list with the different markings.
The problem is, that there are at least 3 different types of unit organisation (brigade, battery and batalion or regiment) that all have there own marking.
And then there is the problem, that StuG belonged to different types of army units.
There are Anti-tank units and the artillery, and most likely several others also.

Michel

#22: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: Geoff_walden PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:37 am
    ----
Great pics, Don!

I recall seeing this Stug. parked on the side of the road that runs past the airfield, between the airfield and the road to the museum, back about 1982. It had broken down in the curve there, while someone from the museum was driving it.

Any sign of the MG shield now? It was there when this vehicle was displayed in the old Patton Museum. This photo was taken ca. 1971.

Geoff

#23: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:42 am
    ----
Thank you very much.

Maybe, some photos of the engine compartment? Smile

#24: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:52 pm
    ----
Koluchiy

Yes I do have some that I took as well as some B&W Archive shots of the engine compartment. I'll post them soon.

I'm 'breaking in' a new computer and haven't transferred all my files yet. I'll post them when I can.

Regards
Don

#25: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:27 pm
    ----
well, I hope that this StuG in original paint will be stored somewhere INSIDE at Fort Benning, and that a "helpful" hand will NOT repaint it, thinking this paint is too much faded..

Pierre-Olivier

#26: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:57 am
    ----
- Koluchiy
Thank you very much.

Maybe, some photos of the engine compartment? Smile

I found these stampings on the left side of the rear engine deck...

I did have some time to open up the access panels

I'll post more as I get them loaded.

Regards
Don

#27: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:11 am
    ----
And here are a few more....

Regards
Don

#28: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:00 pm
    ----
Thank you very much! Smile

#29: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:05 pm
    ----
the condition of the interior is incredible !!

P-O

#30: Re: StuG III In the Light of Day Author: L.Delsing PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:47 am
    ----
Didn't know it has a SOLEX engine??

www.comigo.nl/img/pics...erhuur.jpg

-> AFV News Discussion Board