Kuril Islands, extensive wreck recoveries?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Kuril Islands, extensive wreck recoveries? Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:08 am
    ----

gorojane.tv/forum/inde...#entry5306

#2: Re: Kuril Islands, extensive wreck recoveries? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:54 pm
    ----
it is possible that "someone" realized the value these rusty things have. I mean the historical value, of course !!

P-O

#3: Re: Kuril Islands, extensive wreck recoveries? Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:35 pm
    ----
It's source for rebuilding of tanks for new Poklonnaya Hill exposition.
Too rusted...

#4: Re: Kuril Islands, extensive wreck recoveries? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:32 pm
    ----
- Taranov
It's source for rebuilding of tanks for new Poklonnaya Hill exposition.
Too rusted...

hello,

well, that's interesting. The majority of these tanks were not listed in my PDF files, so these are new to me. Glad they will be preserved, but I think it's a shame they were removed from "their" battlefield. So I have a balanced feeling about this.

P-O

#5: Re: Kuril Islands, extensive wreck recoveries? Author: TaranovLocation: Moscow, Russia PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:30 am
    ----
- the_shadock
Glad they will be preserved, but I think it's a shame they were removed from "their" battlefield.

1) They not recovered from battlefield. They never used in combat, almost all tanks used in 18 august 1945 attack still near Hill 171. recovered tanks used as a targets and spare parts sources, they been located in center of Shumshu.
2) Saving of rare tanks in very, very bad condition - shame? Maybe i not understand something... Shocked

#6: Re: Kuril Islands, extensive wreck recoveries? Author: Koluchiy PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:50 am
    ----
- the_shadock
I think it's a shame they were removed from "their" battlefield.
P-O

Shocked Shocked Shocked

You are surprising me by this opinion...
Is it better to leave them rusting and stealing for scrap?

This is very good news for me that these tank remains were recovered.
Now this is a big responsibility for the museum to restore them with good quality, but the fact of recoverying is indisputable good.

#7: Re: Kuril Islands, extensive wreck recoveries? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:15 am
    ----
anyway that's just an opinion..

of course, I'm 100% for preservation and taking care of rare tanks and AFVs, but I also like to see vehicle where they were left, abandoned or destroyed during the war. I would be very angry to see all the French WW2 Shermans that are preserved as part of monuments, 10 or 15 meters from where they were destroyed in 1944, going to a big museum where they would be side by side, only with a name painted on it, and with their identity forgotten by most of the people (Massimo already said that people don't read text in museums).

I really like and enjoy museums, but I also love to see the authentic and historical vehicles on the battlefield. It speaks to me 10000% more than a brass plate or stone monument, because it is the real item that was there in 1944 and that is still there today. That's the real thing.

Pierre-Olivier

#8: Re: Kuril Islands, extensive wreck recoveries? Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:22 am
    ----
and that is also how and why I started to do list of preserved tanks, by listing the survivors on the battlefield, not the items displayed in museums.

P-O

-> AFV News Discussion Board