M48A5?
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: M48A5? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:22 pm
    ----
All of the M48A5's I saw had 5 support rollers. This tank has three but it sure looks like an A5.

www.flickr.com/photos/...otostream/

#2: Re: M48A5? Author: Joe_DLocation: Razorback Country PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:46 pm
    ----
Mark,

This is one I'd love to drive up to and inspect myself. Known of her for about 2 years. She's an M48A5 late production. The three support rollers intrigued me too when I first seen her. I am about 95% sure the hull is from an M48A2. There are a group of pictures posted on the internet of this tank by a Mr. Bill Maloney.

Vermont M48A5 pictures by Bill Maloney

Unfortunately there aren't any that definitively allow me to conclude she started off as an A2. Below is the only picture that I can say ID's her as an A2 hull.

Idler mounting point

The arrow points to where the idler is mounted to the hull. From what I can tell it's all one piece and does not have the re enforced adapter lug used when converting an A1 hull. Very unusual seeing an A2 hull converted to a tank in US service. All I've ever seen were AVLB's. IAW Hunnicutts' "Patton", all U.S. A5's were produced from A3's and then later from A1 hulls. I have seen nothing to contradict this. I was hoping there was a much better shot of the lower rear hull. A converted A1 hull would still have the scarring from the old tow pintel, another good ID feature to look for. Another possibility is this hull was at one point one of the original M48A1E1's made for the A3 program and was cycled through Anniston. The first two Pilots were 3 support roller models. "Patton" states all six were made from A1 hulls. I believe the first two Pilots utilized A2 hulls. Pictures of Pilot #2, RN 9A9744 show an original deck angled like the A2's where it bolts to the hull. The Vermont A5 doesn't show that but a rebuild to A5 would necessitate the change to the standard deck just like they did for the AVLB program. This tank also has this unique feature on the lower hull that is shared with Pilot #2.

Rear Hull

Never seen this on an A3/A5 and not all A2 hulls have it. Only seen it on the M67A1 (A2 hull) at Fort Leonard Wood. Not many A2's around to say for sure that it's a rare feature. It is another indicator that this is an A2 hull though. Who knows for sure without a detailed inspection. Anniston was very efficient at rebuilding tanks and using what was available. Hull and Turret castings are very expensive and they recycled what was available. A2 AVLB conversion to Diesel A3 standards started around '79 and M48A5 Production Ceased in '79. There is a chance She's a very late A5 that used an A2 hull. A good SN would help.

#3: Re: M48A5? Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:06 pm
    ----
I e-mailed the museum. Maybe they know something. If not, I'll have to tell them a private investigator, Joe D., may come calling! Smile

-> AFV News Discussion Board