OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two...
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Officer's Club

#1: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:54 pm
    ----
www.americantorque.com...engine-id/

www.americantorque.com...-show-50s/

In the interests of disclosure, I got 14 of 17 on the engines, only 75% on the cars. Too many Chryslers and DeSotos for a young guy like me...

#2: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: Shadow_BshwackrLocation: Central Illinois, USA PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:11 pm
    ----
I got 13 out of 17...DOH...lol The early and late hemi got me two times...lol

#3: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: HF_SlowHandLocation: Meeechigan PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:37 pm
    ----
8 of 17 (I knew the motors I wrenched on) and 36 of 48

Laughing

#4: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:22 pm
    ----
OH THAT IS COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taking it right now - I am SO PISSED I just missed the Ford Y-block identification, having bolted two of those damn 292 engines in different vehicles in the past....and I've been getting all the other oddball engines right! (Even the early Olds block).

This is GREAT!!!!

#5: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:34 pm
    ----
OK 14 out of 17 on the engine quiz....stupid of me I missed the 426 Hemi ID because the breathers on the inboard side of the valve colors looked "Fordish" to me, and then I missed the Chrysler Wedge motor with the cross-ram intakes and outboard carbs.

That was TOUGH!!!!!!

Cars now...

#6: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:55 pm
    ----
DANG that 50's car quiz is tough....I weren't born until 1961, man....I got all the hood ornaments right though! And I got the Henry J because of Ascout informing me of what one looked like on this very forum a wile back. Smile

AND finished with sty'le on the last question..there's lots to be said for the process of elimination!!!

There's a 60's and non-GM car quiz as well as an Engine Quiz #2......years of Car Craft magazine subscriptions are about to pay off... Razz Cool

Thanks Ascout!!

#7: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:18 am
    ----
60's quiz MUCH harder than I expected!!!!! But still AWESOME!!!

#8: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:14 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
OK 14 out of 17 on the engine quiz....stupid of me I missed the 426 Hemi ID because the breathers on the inboard side of the valve colors looked "Fordish" to me, and then I missed the Chrysler Wedge motor with the cross-ram intakes and outboard carbs.

That was TOUGH!!!!!!

Cars now...

Hint, hint....

Spark plug ports on Ford 429 "hemi" are below the centerline and there is a raised boss just over center for rocker clearance. I was a Ford guy, so that was my tip-off. I'm also PO'ed that there is not one Ford FE engine in there. WTF is up with that?! Evil or Very Mad

Ford Y-Blocks I know because I took a 352 Police Interceptor out of my '58 Fairlane* (and threw it away) to make room for a 427. Twisted Evil

*Pretty much the ugliest car Ford ever built...think "Edsel" without the "Oldsmobile-sucking-a-lemon" grill.

#9: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:50 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy
60's quiz MUCH harder than I expected!!!!! But still AWESOME!!!

79%, 44 of 56. I thought I'd do better, but the Pontiacs (other than GTO's) and Buicks tripped me up a bit.

#10: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:59 am
    ----
85% on this one. Ford is only really represented here...

www.americantorque.com...5/0/#cntnt

#11: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:52 am
    ----
I agree about the lack of an FE motor and I missed the Y-block question because (and this sounds bad but it's true) otherwise to me that motor they showed was a LOT like a small block chevy which I expected to be in there sooner or later. I never noticed before that the exhaust arrangement and everything else was so similar. The two bolts on the valve cover was a giveaway I completely failed to notice.

I'm taking that non-GM quiz next and I'm sure it's gonna be hard as hell if that's your score O great one.

#12: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:58 am
    ----
- JG300-Stoopy

I'm taking that non-GM quiz next and I'm sure it's gonna be hard as hell if that's your score O olde one.

FIFY.

#13: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:13 am
    ----
Well man you really know how to put on the pressure with that 85...I was sweatin' bullets the whole time.

The Chrysler tailfins got me, I got two out of order...some of the body styles were easy but the '70 and '71 Torinos were so similar it was a lucky guess...I also lucked out and got all Studes correct....I puked and chuffed the New Yorker, Fury and Polara altogether (dammit!!!)....the 'Stangs were easy-peasy....

I'm actually worn out by that!!!! Engine Quiz #2 goes DOWN tomorrow!!!!

Bud, this was outstanding - can't thank you enough for posting, really enjoy this stuff. When I was young we had a big old Chilton book of '64 through '70 Fords that was kept in the bathroom (we had a 67 T-Bird and a 69 Galaxie and my stepdad did the wrenching on them, I learned to cuss by watching him and helping) , I spent many hours on the ol' "throne" studying the great diagrams at the front of every specific vehicle section of the grille and headlight layouts of various years. I feel like I'm looking at that stuff all over again. I think Dad was looking over my shoulder and whispering in my ear for some of them too. Smile

#14: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:18 am
    ----
Ascout is humbled by your 90%..very good for a young guy.

I screwed the Chryslers by applying the adage...."the bigger the fin, the older the car" and missed two that way. I also lost on the Polara/Fury/New Yorker thing. I don't know my MOPAR's other than the Chargers and 'Cuda/Valiant things.

Methinks they are a bunch of MOPAR and GM heads at that site, on balance. But it's lots of good, dirty Laughing fun anyway....

#15: Re: OK motorhead fans....here's a quiz or two... Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:27 am
    ----
- JG300-Ascout
Ascout is humbled by your 90%..very good for a young guy.

I screwed the Chryslers by applying the adage...."the bigger the fin, the older the car" and missed two that way. I also lost on the Polara/Fury/New Yorker thing. I don't know my MOPAR's other than the Chargers and 'Cuda/Valiant things.

Well I just turned 50 and really *have* been subscribing to Car Craft almost nonstop since about 1979 so...not so young anymore and it's about time something came from all that. Smile

Sounds like you and I missed exactly the same MOPAR questions re: the tailfins and Polara/Fury/NYers. That's exactly where I went wrong as well, who knew the first year Chrysler they listed had smaller tailfins than the following year? Your theory worked perfectly on the Caddy identification in the other quizzes...bigod, it's not just theory anyway, it's LAW...or at least used to be....

-> Officer's Club