Incredible story of restored 1930's Automotive Garage
-> Officer's Club

#1: Incredible story of restored 1930's Automotive Garage Author: JG300-StoopyLocation: Group W bench PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:21 pm
    ----
If you dig cool garages and old tools (and who doesn't, really), or inspirational stories in general then you might dig this. On the surface, its the story of how a gent named Thomas Payne brought a 1930's auto repair and welding shop back from the dead through hard work and determination (and some bit of funds); underneath that it is an extremely rewarding story with many twists and turns and meanderings into other subjects such as old speed parts, the care and feeding of antique anvils, and in-depth views of floor jack restoration - and what may be a surprise *TANK* part in there I believe, for sharp eyes among you - but above all a very impressive and wide-ranging story about touching the lives of other people and what was best described by one author as "restoring automotive soul" (I read that as "mechanical soul").

No kidding, be warned, this is possibly also one of the HUGEST threads ever, as it's currently well over 100 pages and over three quarters of a million hits now...for good reason, since it's quite a read. So without further ado:

Restored 1930's Auto Shop - The Garage Journal Board

Some of my favorite highlights: How after having purchased the property and while restoring it, the wife of the former owner/operator (Virgil) was allowed to remain in residence on the property whereupon she enjoyed the newfound activity and attention, until ultimately passing away in her home at the age of 97...and the tale about Virgil's name tag that's related around page 24 of the thread. Like I said, good reading.

Hope you enjoy it, and don't rush yourself to get to the end because it simply doesn't exist yet, it's still ongoing...so take the time to savor the steps.

#2: Re: Incredible story of restored 1930's Automotive Garage Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:31 pm
    ----
It's probably much better that Stoopy and I don't have anything like this or we might never be seen in our respective houses again.

Major coolness. He maybe overdid the modernization a bit, I think I'd have tried to maintain more of a "vintage" look, especially outside, but then it's not my project.

That upright Pepsi machine has got to go, though. A big, red toploader Coke machine (no glass top) would be just the ticket! Stock that puppy with Coke, Nehi Orange, RC, Chocolate Yoo-Hoo's and beer. Laughing

-> Officer's Club