Vehicle ID
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Vehicle ID Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:32 pm
    ----
Supposed to be Korea in 1951. Anyone know what this is?

#2: Re: Vehicle ID Author: Pope130 PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:54 pm
    ----
Indian Pattern Armoured Carrier, ACV-IP built on a Canadian Ford or GMC chassis. WW-II production by Tata Locomotive Works.

#3: Re: Vehicle ID Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:31 pm
    ----
Thanks. So do you think the soldiers in photo are from India?

#4: Re: Vehicle ID Author: Pope130 PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 2:51 pm
    ----
My guess (emphasize "guess") would be New Zealand. The flag behind them looks like that of New Zealand or Australia. Their personal gear is consistant with this guess. Several bits of their kit are American, but for the Korean war that would not be unusual. Many of the British and Commonwealth troops where supplied with US gear in theatre. The ones on left and right appear to be wearing USGI field jackets, and the one on the left has American combat boots. The one in the center is in a British pattern Battledress Jacket. I recall reading that some New Zealand units arrived without heavy equipment, and filled out their TOE with vehicles and weapons from allies. The Aussies brought their own equipment (except for fighter Aircraft).

Robert

#5: Re: Vehicle ID Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:25 pm
    ----
Thanks!

#6: Re: Vehicle ID Author: bsmartLocation: Central Maryland PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:53 pm
    ----
Would the fact the serial number on the side of the vehicle begins with NZ have any bearing on this?

#7: Re: Vehicle ID Author: Pope130 PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:28 am
    ----
Good point! (I didn't notice that.)

#8: Re: Vehicle ID Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:30 am
    ----
Awhile ago, I had posted this video capture photo from a Korean War era video.

perhaps a similiar vehicle?

Regards
Don

#9: Re: Vehicle ID Author: rynokiLocation: Australia PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:56 am
    ----
It's not an Indian built vehicle. It is a New Zealand built and crewed vehicle.
See here for details:
www.ruralfirehistory.o...trucks.htm

#10: Re: Vehicle ID Author: rynokiLocation: Australia PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:58 am
    ----
- Pope130
The Aussies brought their own equipment (except for fighter Aircraft).

Robert

The Aussies also brought their own aircraft. Mustangs from squadrons serving in Japan occupation force and later Meteor jets.

#11: Re: Vehicle ID Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:10 pm
    ----
- bsmart
Would the fact the serial number on the side of the vehicle begins with NZ have any bearing on this?

I wouldn't make a very good detective Confused

#12: Re: Vehicle ID Author: Pope130 PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:17 pm
    ----
- rynoki
- Pope130
The Aussies brought their own equipment (except for fighter Aircraft).

Robert

The Aussies also brought their own aircraft. Mustangs from squadrons serving in Japan occupation force and later Meteor jets.

You're right, I was thinking of someone else. My bad for going on memory first thing in the morning.

-> AFV News Discussion Board