106 Recoilless in Vietnam
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: 106 Recoilless in Vietnam Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:08 pm
    ----
This recoilless rifle is monted on an M106 mortar carrier. I was wondering if they kept the mortar on these or removed them?

#2: Re: 106 Recoilless in Vietnam Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:43 pm
    ----
Mark,
I have no idea, maybe Roy would know.

As the RR was usually mounted well to one side (typically, the right) there is so obvious reason inherent why they could not still carry/operate their mortar. Whether this was the case or not, can't say.

We didn't have any RR's mounted on M113's in the sqdn. when I was with them, but then, we had Sheridans in the mix.
D.

Is that the base plate mount on the left side? If so, I notice there isn't one there. It's also a HQ vehicle, so my guess is that it was converted in some mech infantry unit to give a little direct firepower. I notice it's also lacking in any secondary weaponry. The internal racks would probably come in handy for the ammo.

#3: Re: 106 Recoilless in Vietnam Author: MarkHollowayLocation: Beatty, Nevada PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:12 pm
    ----
Doug, It's 1/50th Infantry (Play the Game). More photos at www.flickr.com/photos/zippo132/

#4: Re: 106 Recoilless in Vietnam Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:07 am
    ----
- MarkHolloway
Doug, It's 1/50th Infantry (Play the Game). More photos at www.flickr.com/photos/zippo132/

'Kay, thx. It's nice to get one right once in a while. I'll stand by my speculation.

Probably they were encountering some bunkers and other fighting position now and then and needed some "standoff" firepower. And a few canister rounds can give you that "warm all over" feeling.

#5: Re: 106 Recoilless in Vietnam Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:24 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

In a H series TOE mech infantry company, the heavy weapons platoon had three M125s 81 mm mortar carriers and an anti-tank squad with two 106mm RR rifles. Prior to Vietnam, the RR was carried inside the M113s. After arriving in Vietnam someone noticed that the base of the RR mount could be bolted to an opening for a radio antenna base. The most common way was to mount the rifle on the right rear opening.

Look at where the GI is setting. He is on top the two part folding hatch on the right side. The RR looks like it is centered in the hatch openning.

With the base plate missing from the side of the hull, my guess is the 4.2 is not in that vehicle. Being a headquarters vehicle, the vehicle could be a base quick reaction force vehicle. The 4.2 maybe set up in ground mode someplace in the camp.

Very interesting find!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

-> AFV News Discussion Board