My computer suddenly shuts down?
-> Software

#1: My computer suddenly shuts down? Author: berlopezLocation: Copenhagen.DK PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:08 pm
    ----
In windows 7 32..it ha happened now too often, specially while using Skype, latest version. in the middle of a conversation the computer quits and reboots. The ventilator goes crazy,, like it changes to high speed,takes a while to go back to normal...
I've searched in the net what could be the cause of this, I found out that overheating,can be the cause. my computer sits on a "U" like stand,That keeps it some 8 cms. from the floor. It doesn't cover any vents. I also read it could be the registry. I tried downloaded a free registry cleaner, but in the end one ha to activate by purchasing a licence,

Any advice is well appreciated?

#2: Re: My computer suddenly shuts down? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:02 pm
    ----
Hiya Berlopez.

I agree that it sounds like a heating issue and most likely it could be the cpu.

Sitting on the cpu is a heatsink and fan assembly.
The fan/heatsink assembly will keep the processor cool, but the mobo will shut down if it detects that the processor gets above a preset temperature.
That may not be the fault of the fan/heatsink sitting on top of it.
Joining the heatsink and processor is a compound which allows the heat to transfer properly.
People don't think this is important but it really is.
Without it, or with too much of it, the processor WILL overheat.
Sometimes, the compound can go 'off' over a period of time.
This involves it going 'crusty' which has the same effect.
Unfortunately there's only one way to check this.
DO NOT PROCEED UNLESS YOU READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING.

The process to check the condition of the compound is a no-return committment.
Once you start it, you have to see it through.

You will need to detatch the heatsink from the processor.
You will then see the condition of the paste.
Unfortunately, you have now broken the seal the compound provides, whether it's in good condition or bad.
That means cleaning off all traces of the compound (this has to be done properly using specific non-ethanol based solvents) down to a microscopic level.
You cannot scratch the surface of either the processor or the heatsink.
Once you've done that, you have to apply fresh compound (correctly) and re-assemble.
Whenever you move the heatsink you will break the compound seal and that means reduced performance and time to replace it all over again.

#3: Re: My computer suddenly shuts down? Author: berlopezLocation: Copenhagen.DK PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:35 am
    ----
Shades,thanks for your advice and intructions...It seems to have normalized/behave itself lately...

So I'll leave it as is,Before I end up with no computer.

#4: Re: My computer suddenly shuts down? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:43 pm
    ----
No worries,
If it's a heat issue, sometimes just moving it away from a wall, or otherwise giving it some circulation improvement can help.
Although if this is all that's happened, I would suggest the temp may still be quite high inside the case and may require a longer-term solution.
I know some folks who have it in a draw/cubby-hole in their desk.
This will not help the case interior circulation.

#5: Re: My computer suddenly shuts down? Author: JG300-AscoutLocation: Cyberspace PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:06 pm
    ----
Have you fallen behind on your animal sacrifices to the computer? They get right contrary when they don't get their souls. "PC World" and other experts agree skwirrels is best for this purpose. Wink

#6: Re: My computer suddenly shuts down? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:29 pm
    ----
'PC World'?
Eek!
Never speak those words again.

www.ebuyer.com
Have plenty of other, better, links than PC Smells for Puter stuff, but my links are all on my p.c. back home.

Think your 'backwater equiv' is newegg.

#7: Re: My computer suddenly shuts down? Author: Shadow_HomfixrLocation: Fort Walton Beach, FL-USA PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:46 pm
    ----
If you need a registry cleaner there is FREE program out there called System Care 5 by IOBIT that will clean your registry, defrag, clean junk files, download and install windows updates and a few other things. My desktop is about 6 years old and still running rather good because of this program. Give it try. You find the free ones about halfway down the page.

www.iobit.com/homeproducts.html

But like Shades said it is most likely due to something heating up. My desktop was shutting down like yours a few weeks ago and I finally figured out that the fan on one of my video cards had failed therefore it was shutting down the video.

#8: Re: My computer suddenly shuts down? Author: ShadesLocation: 3rd Branch up, 'Ye Olde Oak', Green Wood. PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:33 am
    ----
Good point Homey.
Worth checking fans and their connections.
One may have worked loose.
It won't be the cpu fan as it wouldn't even make post; they warm up too quick!

-> Software