B17 "Liberty Bell" destroyed after engine fire.
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: B17 "Liberty Bell" destroyed after engine fire. Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:58 am
    ----

All crew safe, after pilot executed an emergency landing after a fire broke out in No2 engine.
I've seen less aircraft put together as a "restoration", but to all intents & purposes, it's a write off. Sad

#2: Re: B17 "Liberty Bell" destroyed after engine fire. Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:47 am
    ----
On 25th May in Melun-Villaroche, France a B-25 medium bomber crashed - the same problem: engine fire.

forum.ioh.pl/viewtopic...4c4a4f9fe8

That is sad that the warbirds fall from sky.

But AFV have accidents too:

acidcow.com/pics/9713-...-pics.html

www.strangecosmos.com/...19980.html

#3: Re: B17 "Liberty Bell" destroyed after engine fire. Author: Michel_KraussLocation: Zuid-Holland, The Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:59 pm
    ----
somehow crashes with AFV's are usualy less devistating then with aircraft

however still a big loss

#4: Re: B17 "Liberty Bell" destroyed after engine fire. Author: the_shadockLocation: Normandy, France PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:29 pm
    ----
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad that's my preferred aircraft.. only few of them are able to fly, and there is one less right now.

P-O

#5: Re: B17 "Liberty Bell" destroyed after engine fire. Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:14 am
    ----
Hi Folks!

I saw a report which said she was one of fourteen B17s that could still fly.

At least the crew was able to get out.

Sgt, Scouts out!

#6: Re: B17 "Liberty Bell" destroyed after engine fire. Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:35 am
    ----
Further info is that the plane made a succesful, wheeled landing. Fire appliances were moved quickly to the landing site, but wouldn't go to the plane, because of worries that they might get stuck on the ploughed field.

-> AFV News Discussion Board