Fort McCoy Photo Gallery
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#1: Fort McCoy Photo Gallery Author: vagabondLocation: Constantly moving across US PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:54 am
    ----
Hi All,

We’ve added a gallery of photos from the Commemorative Area of Fort McCoy, WI.
The museum has many interesting vehicles on display.

www.vgbimages.com/AFV-...912_fBh2SH

M577A2

M-919 Truck, Concrete Mobile Mixer

T95

Enjoy!
VB

#2: Re: Fort McCoy Photo Gallery Author: EURO_Rigel PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:22 am
    ----
grew up about 30 mi from McCoy in the dells.....

#3: Re: Fort McCoy Photo Gallery Author: toadmanstankpictures PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:53 pm
    ----
Nice pics VB! Thanks for sharing. Looks like a good place to visit one day.

#4: Re: Fort McCoy Photo Gallery Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:55 pm
    ----
Out of curiosity, was there something about the trick suspension system that necessitated a unique track design (on the T95)? I've never seen that particular design on any other types of vehicle.

Apart from looks, what might have made it particularly suitable for this application?

#5: Re: Fort McCoy Photo Gallery Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:12 am
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey
Out of curiosity, was there something about the trick suspension system that necessitated a unique track design (on the T95)? I've never seen that particular design on any other types of vehicle.

Apart from looks, what might have made it particularly suitable for this application?

STOP THAT DOUG !!! Rolling Eyes

You are gonna get me digging into the T95 again, and everytime I do that I get an instant headache. Sad

Oh, BTW,.....The T95 is listed as having T114 track. Mr. Green

Regards
Don

#6: Re: Fort McCoy Photo Gallery Author: Neil_BaumgardnerLocation: Arlington, VA PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:27 pm
    ----
Don, I wish I could "like" that post LOL...

#7: Re: Fort McCoy Photo Gallery Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:46 pm
    ----
- Doug_Kibbey

I remember looking at that track and thinking that it looked like a 'dead' track vs. the 'live' track we are used to. I wonder if the live track caused problems with the kneeling suspension? The 'dead' track is a lot more tolerant of loose track tension, which seems likely when the tank 'sits' down on the suspension. Spitballin' here...

C

#8: Re: Fort McCoy Photo Gallery Author: Doug_KibbeyLocation: The Great Satan PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:02 pm
    ----
- C_Sherman
- Doug_Kibbey

I remember looking at that track and thinking that it looked like a 'dead' track vs. the 'live' track we are used to. I wonder if the live track caused problems with the kneeling suspension? The 'dead' track is a lot more tolerant of loose track tension, which seems likely when the tank 'sits' down on the suspension. Spitballin' here...

C

Hi Chuck!

Warning! Dangerous thread drift here....

What are the major factors in determining whether a tracked vehicle uses track support rollers or not? Presumably weight of the track itself is a consideration. Are most supported tracks "live"? If so, why?

#9: Re: Fort McCoy Photo Gallery Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:57 pm
    ----
Okay, since you insist

(let me take a couple of Excedrin first.....ahhhh, thats better)

As best as I can tell, the T95 only experimented with variable height suspension with the 'T95 test rig' variant which was late in the developmental program.

Most of the T95 pilots had 'regular' suspension using the T114 track. I always thought of this style of track suspension as being 'christie suspension'.

I've got diagrams of the regular suspension on the T95, but can't seem to find the diagrams of the variable height suspension of the 'Test rig'

I do believe that the T95 had a number of different developmental types of track, but I need to dig around to find exactly what they looked like.

More to follow
Regards
Don

#10: Re: Fort McCoy Photo Gallery Author: Kurt_Laughlin PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:41 am
    ----
The T114 track was for "Tanks T95, T96, T110 and other vehicles having similar suspensions" according to OCM 36316 (20 SEP 56) that assigned the nomenclature. T114 track was double pin with rubber bushings, hence live. It is listed as being lighter than the T108 and T109 which were for the same vehicles. They were live tracks as well.

T108 - Replaceable rubber chevron grousers
T109 - Replaceable steel grousers
T114 - Integral rubber chevron grousers

KL

#11: Re: Fort McCoy Photo Gallery Author: C_Sherman PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:51 am
    ----
Moved to new T95 thread...

-> AFV News Discussion Board