T95 Info
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> AFV News Discussion Board

#16: Re: T95 Info Author: DontosLocation: Vine Grove, KY PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:16 pm
    ----
I just realized there are multiple definitions which may be confusing the live or dead track issue.

Dead Track, in more modern 'user' terms, refers to track wear out.

I found this TM outtake gives definition to this usage.

Regards
Don

#17: Re: T95 Info Author: Vivman PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:51 pm
    ----
- Roy_A_Lingle

A comment about 'Christie suspension'.
Dontos your are correct, the T95 has a 'MODIFIED Christie suspension'.
The M114, M551, the M107/110 hulls, the T55 and T62s all have 'MODIFIED Christie suspensions'. The T34 Family of vehicles, T54 and most of the British Crusier tanks up to the Comet have true 'Christie suspensions'.

Vehicles with a Christie or Modifed Christie don't have support rollers so the road wheels have more room to move upward.

It is sad that we lost the old site. This subject came up back in June of 2000.
Spot report! Passed my bed time, see you folks later.
Sgt, Scouts out!

I'd always thought the Soviet's abandoned the Christie suspension after the T-34 series and that from the T-44 on, they switched to a Torsion bar suspension? Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, the the other American AFV's mentioned, M114.M551, M107/110 also had Torsion bar suspension, to the best of my knowledge.

What constitutes a "Modified" Christie suspension?

Tony

#18: Re: T95 Info Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:07 am
    ----
Hi Vivman! Hi Folks!

- Vivman

I'd always thought the Soviet's abandoned the Christie suspension after the T-34 series and that from the T-44 on, they switched to a Torsion bar suspension? Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, the the other American AFV's mentioned, M114.M551, M107/110 also had Torsion bar suspension, to the best of my knowledge.

What constitutes a "Modified" Christie suspension?

Tony

Any track system that doesn't have support rollers and uses individual suspension elements at each road wheel station is based on Christie's design.

One the inside, the torsions bars running acrossed the hull floor which replaced Christie's original coil springs mounted next to the side walls "constitutes" a MODIFIED Christie system. So the Soviet T54, T55, and the T62 are all Modified Christie suspensions. The US M114, M113, M551, and the M107/M110 are also modified Christie suspensions. You have to go back and dig into the old books that Kurt and I made note of. There you will find the term. Almost all modern writers have stopped using the term Christie and use terms related to the equipment mounted inside the hull.

In the case of the T95 with the adjustable system, because of the outside layout, it is a Christie. Due to the type of equipment on the inside of the hull, it is a MODIFIED Christie.

Hope this helps clear up my muddy thinking on this subject.
Sgt, Scouts out!

#19: Re: T95 Info Author: Roy_A_LingleLocation: El Paso & Ft Bliss, Texas PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:22 am
    ----
Hi Dontos! Hi Folks!

- Dontos

I just realized there are multiple definitions which may be confusing the live or dead track issue.

Dead Track, in more modern 'user' terms, refers to track wear out.

I found this TM outtake gives definition to this usage.
Don

For Western Europe and US track vehicles your example is very true.

When dead blocks are found on a live track block system, that is a problem for the crew.

As for modern, maybe. But then look a T-62 which is still around. It uses a single dry pin, dead track block design. Most constuction equipement uses the single dry pin, dead track block design. A design that is slowly be replaced by a band track system. Possible the source behind the idea for the US Army's use of rubber band tracks on the latest AFV designs.

Speaking of band track, the WWII US LVTs used an all metal band track design.

Spot Report!
Sgt, Scouts Out!

#20: Re: T95 Info Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:03 am
    ----
Don,
Did you ever correspond with Floyd Plough from Seattle, WA area years ago? He passed away in the late 90's, but was who got me into the T95 experimental series. Just wondered! Rick

By the way great photos and info. Thanks for sharing!

#21: Re: T95 Info Author: bialy-rLocation: POLAND PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:24 pm
    ----
I'm created a Surviving T95 Medium Tanks register for American post-1945 tanks and combat vehicles the.shadock.free.fr/uspostww2.html

For now I have those tanks:

T95 – US Army Center Military History Storage Facility, Anniston Army Depot, AL (USA) - (RN 9B2030)

T95E13 – Richardson Motor Pool, Fort Knox, KY (USA) - (SN 8; Hydro-Pneumatic Suspension)

T95E8 with M48 Patton turret – Weirton, WV (USA) - (SN 5, chassis no. 5, RN 9B1047)

T95 with M48 Patton turret – Commemorative Area, History Center & Equipment Park, Fort McCoy, WI (USA) - (SN 12, chassis No. 3?, RN 9B1049)

XM66 D turret from T95 on M48 Patton – Armada, MI (USA)

I'm looking for photo of: T95E8 range target wreck - Camp Grayling, MI (USA) - (chassis No. 2, RN 9B1050)

Are those info correct? Have somebody more data to those surviving T95 tanks ? Thanks for any help.

#22: Re: T95 Info Author: Pzkpfw-e PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:47 am
    ----
Is this the one at Camp Grayling?
www.petoskeynews.com/g...1a.html#13

#23: Re: T95 Info Author: Rick_EshlemanLocation: Lewes, Delaware, USA PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:11 am
    ----
Adam, The tank shown at Camp Grayling appears to be what's left of a M60A1 or M60A3 MBT. If the T95 there looks anything like the M113 APC, there's not much left of it. Rick

-> AFV News Discussion Board